MTB Terrain Fear

Anything wet.

And with that I wonder if tyres are made from the same rubber Vibram boots are made from as they don't do well on wet rock either.

velomaniac":3g63cafm said:
Uphill dread occasionally but not fear. Surely you dont have a knotted stomach and a weak bladder/bowels about cycling uphill :shock:
T'was a bit tongue in cheek! Only actual riding fear per se would be anything involving clearing a gap in mid air. I always flap and panic, like on drops that arent really that big or mini jumps!

hose pipes.

don't laugh.

i live on a rose nursery, if i nip out on the bike to go across to the in-laws / over to one of the fields or whatever i always stop when i get to a hose pipe.

the bloody things are death traps, if you ride across them at 90 degrees you are fine but any kind of acute angle and the damn things will roll the bike from underneath you in a flash. even clearing them with the front end isn't safe because the damn things will skew the back end when you least expect it.

my biggest 'proper' outdoor fear is loose rock on a hard surface. the unpredictability of your back end firing a rock backwards instead of you forwards or the unexpected lateral slip of the front end puts my back end into "donut / bagel" mode.

Few things...
Steep stuff... I'm not as brave as i used to be
Loose rocky stuff...
Problem is, where I was living for the last bunch of years, most of the riding was a combination of both... both arn't necesarily bad, but it woudl be a combination of long long steep DH's made from this loose slipper gravel crap.

Doubles (as in jumps).

Tabletops are fine as there's an element of reassurance that you'll actually be able to ride away, should you come up short on the landing.

Rollable doubles are also great fun, as you can fly into them and then try manualling or pumping through them if you don't fancy taking off.

Non-rollable doubles are a different matter. There's something about that void in the middle which automatically puts the worst case scenario in my head!

If I'm riding one of my bikes with tall block NOS(ish) tires like Smoke/Darts on it, asphalt scares the crap out of me. :D

Loose stuff uphill. Especially if I'm riding behind someone. Have been hit by flying rocks, and forced to stop due to slow speed of rider in front, and almost falling off the singletrack, down even steeper drop next to it

greenstiles":1dd7zysc said:
Sharp slate that sticks up like sharks fins ! plentry in Wales....the can grab your tires then cut you to ribbons :twisted:

This

Was surprised by the scarring, still got them 18 months later.

Back