Gary McKinnon Extradition

I'm sick of seeing his Mum on tv whinging that she's lost 10+ years of her life to this, like there's been some huge miscarriage of justice here!
The bloke broke the law, so should be tried for doing so, although I don't really agree with people being packed off anywhere on the strength of 'reasonable suspicion' either.

Then as soon as his criminal activities were known he should have been tried as isn't that the point of trying people soon after their crimes, to allay mental torture ?

This has taken too long but when money is being made it can take as long as necessary, as people don't matter beyond their ability to generate cash.

Now an inquiry is needed to understand why it took so long as to face it the accused was not accessing laws to keep him here like a certain Mr Hamza was was he.

But below is the timeline of events from March 2002 ;

http://www.bbc.com/news/19959726

Here's a link to blog where the author has looked into the case. No idea how accurate it is but is does give more details of the case than generally get published and gives reasons why the case was going to be tried in USA.
http://jackofkent.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/gary-mckinnon-and-flat-earth-news.html
Been reading today that it wasn't McKinnon's Aspergers that was the reason for the extradition being halted but his depression and threat of suicide.

I'm no lawyer (thank god) but being allegedly depressed and suicidal as a direct result of your alleged crimes is no grounds for compensation at all. Besides, he still may yet face charges here in the UK, he has after all publicly admitted the offence!

If you break the law then blame others for the consequences it would deafeat the object of law

He did do something wrong and has to face the consequences

10 years of 'mental torture" I agree could have been avoided...by him not breaking the law in the first place

sylus":10n9zmt4 said:
If you break the law then blame others for the consequences it would deafeat the object of law

He did do something wrong and has to face the consequences

10 years of 'mental torture" I agree could have been avoided...by him not breaking the law in the first place

+1

Whilst I have some sympathy with his condition, we make it too easy for law breakers to quote various conditions as an excuse, and there are far too many people willing to make money off the back of it.

Not at all, the reason we have a limit on most crimes is to ensure people are not sitting in limbo for years awaiting a decision.

Ten years is massively excessive.

Back