And today I did......

ha ha, yeah that is certainly a valid reason but why choose that particular type of bike when you get that itch to buy again givin the miriad of types you could buy?

Basically they can ride over anything and have great grip without the use of suspension. However they have loads of rotational mass making them heavy and on occassion unweildy. Great for low speed mucking around, bad for quick turns and speed and long days in the saddle unless your quite fit.
Top dog if we have another snow infested winter :cool:

clockworkgazz":2ceqa7pk said:
ha ha, yeah that is certainly a valid reason but why choose that particular type of bike when you get that itch to buy again givin the miriad of types you could buy?

It pretty much comes down to the fact that they're pretty new to the uk and VERY different to what else is out there. I've been riding since 89 and have had a wide variety of bikes over the years. I've always had an interest in the techy side of things and my collection reflects this. Even my retrobikes are advanced for their time, with the plastic STS and the headshock Delta V ( once I get the right tool to re-assemble them). Lots of people especially on here , are very passionate about certain brands or eras, or specific eras of a brand. I've seen people with one of every evolution of Pace or Orange or GT (cough, Mikee, cough). Myself, I like variety. Fickle, yes. Easily swayed by the latest fad, yes. I'm the marketing mans dream, but nobody's perfect.
I do have a semi-sensible side and do wonder how much I'd use a fat bike, but I only live a mile from the coast so it could open up a whole new area of riding possibilities very close to home. Or it could sit in the garage just looking mean. Then again, compared to artwork it's still pretty good value.
I'll point this out myself before someone beats me to it. They're just bikes, it's what you do with them that matters.

Gazz I bought one because I think they look cool,and then I had a shot on Salty's Moonlander and it was great fun to ride, you don't even need a trail just go where you like.

I don't think they will take over mountain biking like 29ers will but they do have their place and have grown out of the sand and snow niche. I'm planning on fitting the child seat to the one I put together and hitting the beach more often, I'll also get a trail ride or two in for variation and would like to do some of the epic rides on it too. I agree with Velo's synopsis above apart from the long ride bit, from what I've read they are excellent off road tourers/ all dayers. And I'm with clubby, marketing mans dream me :) Proof will be in the pudding, let see how much use it gets. I also appreciate that its a bit of an extravagance, but I had the money, might as well use it.

You're always welcome to have a go when I get it together.

Oh and if you have more than a passing interest a mooch about the mtbr Fat Bike section is always worthwhile, I think some of the riding would be up your street. And of course there's the new UK fat bike forum.

I'd actually be interested to hear from Pugsley and Karate Monkey owners on the similarities/differences.

Having read a good few testimonials on them it does seem that after riding one, people do become converts. I will take you up on the option of a ride when it is finished I do want to see if a different fat bike will be added to the "buy before you die" list. Mind you can't ever see me loving the look, get that it is new and radical but for me it's is up there with recumbents in the fugly category.

The Pug frame does look very similar to the KM, is it not the same tubes? If so, you would think there would be similarities for sure. Also what kind of weight can be achieved without breaking the bank?

Most of the riding I get these days has the kids trailer attached or is on sedate trails so could well fit in- not sure on the beach would the drive not get fecked with the sand- better with a belt drive I would have thought?

Pugsley

Well done Kaiser! I am sure you will love it.
I got mine as after having a ride on one, as Kaiser mentioned it is huge FUN, and that for me is what its all about. I like, no love my 1X1 and this build of the Pugsley just seems like taking it to the next level so to speak. I personally like the look of them, especially in my size as its all just tyre :shock: bit like a bicycle monster truck.
They are getting more popular but I dont think they will ever get anywhere near mainstream, let alone cool. To the average mountainbiker the person riding them probably seem weirder than what a retrobike rider does, and thats saying something ;)
As for the marketing man, well that depends on where your looking from etc but its even more of a niche market than singlespeed, so I hope he hasn't mortgaged the house :LOL:
I see it as versatile as my 1X1 with the bonus of being to ride places I couldn't before. I was sitting here thinking earlier tonight that as I still have to get a wheel laced to my SS hub before getting anywhere close to complete, this weekend I might take the front end off the Pugsley with my complete wheel and try it on my 1X1 :idea:
Each to their own I say, some like them and some hate them but I have not really heard of anyone riding one then hoping off moaning about it. Its a bit like riding retro I suppose, ride it within context and its great fun.
As kaiser says the MTBR forum has loads of good information on them, all fatbikes not just the Pugsley, well worth a look.

Try these for motivation :D

http://vimeo.com/25943565

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2gi1UA8 ... ure=relmfu

Once finished which should be soon, as per usual, anyone here is more than welcome to a shot. Even if I'm bringing my 1X1 to a ride I dont mind throwing the Pugsley in the van for someone to try.
Jamie

good luck with these "monster trucks" of mountain biking..

I've got quite transfixed by saltys at GT, it's a great excuse to build something else and have another bike in the shed :)

although I think I'd need to live nearer to a beach or have designs on a some long off road touring to get the final motivation to take the leap..

they certainly add a little more spice / interest to our world

Today I stripped the Unit :( what a fantastic bike that was, still may be resurrected one day. The parts are being used for the On One and the Pug, which also arrived today :D :D Really chuffed, this will take a while because of the outlay for the wheels, you can do it cheap but I reckon where the wheels are concerned i.e the main crux of the bike, buy cheap buy twice. Soo I'll need to shift some excess stock to finance a pair of monster hoops. Not that the Surly will be a weenie, far from it but I weighed the frame, 2520g with seat collar fitted and the Unit was 2715 with a headset fitted. I always imagine Surlys as being heavy, I think its the stout image they have, certainly no weenie but not an anchor either.

Back