Today's bike find - 1991 Bridgestone MB-1

nice grab, ben. she looks good just like that. Consider Chris King Gripnut headset if you wanna soup it up!!!!!! :cool:

i've always liked that color scheme, never seen a '91 in the flesh.

I think it would be easy to recreate the colour scheme on this.

Get the frame powdercoated white and the forks powdercoated the nearest RAL match grey.

Buy a tin of aerosol grey RAL paint in the same grey as the fork.

Mask up and a couple of coats, the red decal will cover the join between colours.

Job done :cool:

I thought this was going to be a cheap "pub" bike............?

benbonty":3391ka67 said:
So...... I think I'm going to refinish the Bridgestone frame and forks. I'll probably go for a high quality powdercoat on this as I want it to be tough and hard wearing. I don't think i want to spend a fortune on replicating the factory finish, so itll be a single colour i think. Anyone got any colour suggestions? At the moment I'm thinking either white, light grey or perhaps red? Velocals in the US can do the decals for me so that's not an issue, but I can't decide on the colour!
Bad move IMO . Touch up the paint and shoot a coat of clear enamal over the top . I have the testers enamel color code for the grey if you are interested. If you ever decide to sell it you will be sorry if you repaint.

ez054098":bvdw70kd said:
Nice find!

klasse":bvdw70kd said:
nice grab, ben. she looks good just like that. Consider Chris King Gripnut headset if you wanna soup it up!!!!!! :cool:

i've always liked that color scheme, never seen a '91 in the flesh.

Thanks guys, I don't plan on doing any "souping up" mate, this is supposed to be a cheap run-around bike.... though I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of people round here think it is too good for that!!

was8v":zx5ux5uu said:
I think it would be easy to recreate the colour scheme on this.

Get the frame powdercoated white and the forks powdercoated the nearest RAL match grey.

Buy a tin of aerosol grey RAL paint in the same grey as the fork.

Mask up and a couple of coats, the red decal will cover the join between colours.

Job done :cool:

I thought this was going to be a cheap "pub" bike............?

Not a bad plan mate, but if was going to replicate the original finish, I would want to do it properly and not do a half cocked job. The transitions between the two colours on the original finish are big decals with the grey section contained by the red line being part of the decal. that means i'd have to match paint or powder with the decal colour exactly and I don't fancy going to such lengths to be honest.

Loki":xaqx78x6 said:
Bad move IMO . Touch up the paint and shoot a coat of clear enamal over the top . I have the testers enamel color code for the grey if you are interested. If you ever decide to sell it you will be sorry if you repaint.

Thanks mate, you are probably right on the repaint front, but the paint is totally ruined and wouldn't be saved by any amount of touching up in my opinion. its chipped and scratched, but also faded, flat and worn. The decals are only half there too. Perhaps I should sell it to someone who appreciates it for what it is and not just a 'pub bike'.

If you did pass it on I might be interested as I am without a retrobike at the moment and need a winter project for next years national rides!

NOW FOR SALE - For a limited time. I've been persuaded that this might indeed be too good to be sat in the rain outside my local.

Back