And today I did......

I pretty well finished building the FSR only to find it is too big...

DSCN0362_zps229b0f84.jpg

kaiser":1wt0c2uv said:
Tazio":1wt0c2uv said:
kaiser":1wt0c2uv said:
This wan isnae a very hard guess.

It'll be one of those fat things then?

Aye it is :D see easy peasy

Ooh, what ya get?
After talking to Jamie about his pugsley and yesterday's conditions under tyre, I spent lunchtime browsing the Surly and Salsa websites. Liking the Mukkluk a bit too much.

Bullpup":ba8evasa said:
I pretty well finished building the FSR only to find it is too big...

DSCN0362_zps229b0f84.jpg

Too big as in standover height ?, if so why not fit 24" wheels ?, that's what i did the Ex Big Eck DH8, was like riding a horse otherwise :LOL:

clubby":2xhg4tn8 said:
kaiser":2xhg4tn8 said:
Tazio":2xhg4tn8 said:
kaiser":2xhg4tn8 said:
This wan isnae a very hard guess.

It'll be one of those fat things then?

Aye it is :D see easy peasy

Ooh, what ya get?
After talking to Jamie about his pugsley and yesterday's conditions under tyre, I spent lunchtime browsing the Surly and Salsa websites. Liking the Mukkluk a bit too much.

Pugsley frame and forks, got 40% off :D I was hanging out for the On One bike but reckon I'll put this together a good bit cheaper. New Mukkluk looks nice, theres a deal at Charlie the Bikemongers just now as a pre order.

So whats the theory on the fat bikes then?

Are they designed as a bike for every occasion, sort of jack of all trades master of none or do they have a well defined niche where they excel (sand/thick mud...)?

By all accounts they are mucho funtastic to ride and salty seems to ride his loads but I suspect that I (if I bought one) would mibee use it for light hearted fun runs and revert back to skinny tires for most other riding trips. One reason for that for me anyway is because they, much like 29ers, look kind of goofy but I have to admit to almost coming to terms with that aesthetic issue but more problematic for me is that they look very unwieldy less nibble looking and are heavier. They might actually handle well and climb well, as I say I do not have any experience on the bikes but my retro heritage and world view has always been "light is better" and this is a hard philosophy to change.

I was not sure on SS originally and did change my mind (for a bit til my knees got fecked ha ha) same with 29er's so I will prob one day convert to fatty madness but it would be interesting to get folks take on these bikes and indeed first had reports on how they ride too.

Back