GPS type app for Android - any recommendations?

elPedro666":10pg5wsi said:
brocklanders023":10pg5wsi said:
That's for big boys isn't it :eek:

hamster":10pg5wsi said:
Endomondo does nice route tracking without the dick measurement bit of Strava.

Well, I've got Strava now, so I guess we'll see! :shock:

Maverick sounds interesting, I'll take a look at that, cheers.

Seems that there are two things here; tracking what you've done (Strava seeming to be the most used) and actual route-finding. Will see what use I can make out of Strava and maybe look into something like Back Country for exploring new areas if needed.

Thanks guys, great help as always :cool:

One thing you'll find in Strava, while it does not have OS maps :( you can use the Sector Explore and zoom in on interesting area and spot sectors. You may find interesting routes you didn't know about. Also you can go look at other riders 'rides' in the area. Go to t a sector, pick a person and see where they went.

- Remember to add your privacy zone.
- Remember to add you bikes AND edit the ride online after it's uploaded to the correct bike (it uses the default otherwise).
- Remember to turn off Wi-Fi as that eats mobile batteries. All you actually need is GPS on to track during a ride. Enable data connections and sync as and when needed (i.e. after the ride)

Remember to join the RetroBike club ;)
http://app.strava.com/clubs/retrobike

All good stuff, and I'll get myself in the club, ta! :D Stealing routes was definitely a large part of Strava's appeal.

Can I direct you to Ben's excellent advice above ^^^ :LOL:

Signed in to the RB group now, have to see if it shows some new riding nearby :)

Quick update, I've been looking at BackCountry, Maverick, GPS Essentials and ViewRanger and so far I'm drawn to the latter as it looks simplest to plan routes on or upload GPX files. Also the mapping looks very clear OS style rather than satellite images of treetops!

Does anybody's experience bear this out?

elPedro666":1xk2aay1 said:
Quick update, I've been looking at BackCountry, Maverick, GPS Essentials and ViewRanger and so far I'm drawn to the latter as it looks simplest to plan routes on or upload GPX files. Also the mapping looks very clear OS style rather than satellite images of treetops!

Does anybody's experience bear this out?
The view of the map looks like whatever map you use.
In Maverik, hit MAPS, then where it says Wikimapia and more maps, go into more maps and select OS Explorer Maps (UK)

ViewRanger seemed ok when I used it and so did AlpineQuest. But both lost free OS maps lost time I tried it.

Free OS maps would be a deal clincher for sure - so Maverick should have them you think, any idea on BackCountry?

elPedro666":11ju8ni1 said:
Free OS maps would be a deal clincher for sure - so Maverick should have them you think, any idea on BackCountry?

No idea, but to be honest, just play with them and see what you like. They're free so nothing to worry about.

Also since you have a google account, log in on your computer and search on there then just tag load and it flies to your phone and installs.

FluffyChicken":3v4xx9id said:
just play with them and see what you like. They're free so nothing to worry about.

I know this is the obvious solution, but I'm being very selective as to what I download for my new phone ... Reason being I'm assuming that (like a PC) nothing uninstalls completely cleanly, so after the two year minimum I'm stuck with it I could end with a whole heap of junk on there slowing it down and generally causing trouble. Overprotective perhaps but better than being stuck with a dog phone for the second twelve months!

Back