The art of a good touring bike - nearly finished

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Although I inhabit the MTB part of the site quite a bit, I am a bit of a secret touring bike lover and do like how they can sometimes be almost artwork.

I've had modern and classic over the years, parallel to the mtb scene from a 1970's Galaxy to a relatively recent Dalesman.

I am now looking to recreate the the top end tourers of the early 1980's with the Norman Fay as a base.

I have already fitted a 'Red S' chainset with 48, 42, 28 rings, M700 Deerhead parts topped off with some beautiful 600EX cantilevers - miniature works of art in their own rights.

D972727B-99B1-4C30-9153-72172925AF0F.jpeg

Heres a 1983 Royal 10 to be getting on with - I would like some pics and ideas please - thanks for looking!

ral83_06.jpg

norman_fay_redux1_580.jpg

if keeping period then double chainset only and one with as many holes as poss as imo they look great . and it has to have a brooks no matter what

Iwasgoodonce":8az0sibx said:
I think three chainrings up front is best. That Raleigh must have big jumps between the gears.

Yeah, a triple with an odd combo is a must - I stupidly sold a Schwinn Tourer (from the tip of course) with a full 105 touring groupset - stupid stupid...

Anyway. Parts list so far:

Suntour barend friction shifters

Red S triple chainset - 48 42 28 (I think)

Shimano M700 F&R mechs

Shimano 600EX cantilevers (apparently quite rare!)

Weinnman concave eyeleted 27" rims on DT-Swiss and Maillard Competition hubs

80mm Cineli stem, 42cm Cineli bars (dont know the models)

Campagnolo Gran Sport 27.2mm seatpost

Campagnolo Gran Sport headset

Personally for the full lookI would go with a TA Cyclotouriste chainset (you know, the one with 6 arms on the rings.)
Sadly they do go for daft money and they tend to crack around the tapers. In fact they aren't really very good, but if it's a look you are after... :?

caradice - check

any more for any more?

Bike is built - now sitting on some bargain ebay 700c wheels

pics later.

How about one of those Huret Multito mileometers:
DSCN2722.jpg
Silent, and surprisingly accurate.
I loved mine back in 1982...sometimes wish modern ones just told the distance as speed is immaterial.

Or maybe, if you're feeling cheap, one of the Lucas/Cyclo ones with the pin fitted to the spokes which hit a star wheel...tick, tick, tick.

All the best,

A Brooks vinyl Glenbrook saddlebag...

Glenbrook.jpg

...is a thing of beauty though tragically hopeless without...

carradice_bagman_qrsport_2.jpg

...the carradice quick release carrier.

Here they are on mine...

7723015200_af7e13cf6d_o.jpg

Back