1997 kona lavadome frame recon, again.

to disc or not to disc thats the question,
I recently aquired an 97 cindercone to replace the lava as a modern disc version but its nothing like the lavadome in the way it rides on the trail ,dont get me wrong its a perfect trail bike it just doesnt have the same agility .I know its an inch bigger but surely this cant have that much effect , I have tried 100mm and 80mm and they both feel the same on it , so I have decide not to convert the cindy but the lava instead and run it with 100mm any thoughts?
IMAG1164.jpg

Lee.

poweredbypies":xryqrzm5 said:
Have the mags ever not stopped you? If it aint broke dont fix it.
your not wrong I left it alone and I bought a frame with a disc tab already fitted instead.

ajm":xryqrzm5 said:
Nice paint on the Lava Dome... what sizes are the two bikes?
the lava is 18"c to top and the cindy is 19" c to top.
Lee.

^ and I didn't like it so back to disc's on this frame me thinks,
with a full repaint and new disc tab its nearly back in action just a bit of cable work and bb to fit,
IMAG2442.jpg

IMAG2412.jpg

IMAG2413.jpg

IMAG2441.jpg

IMAG2440.jpg

It's now emerald green and has a slight glitter reduction too :D

finished at last, it's probably going to stay like this for a long time as it's my "perfect trail bike", some pics

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

the end...

Hi guys,

I have this exact same bike which has been sitting in the garage for ~8 years (ashamed to say that :oops: ). Mine has a fair few chips and scratches and I'm currently stripping it down to do a full rebuild.

I don't know if I really want to go all the way and have it completely re-coated, but I would like to try and repair some of the chips. Does anyone know where I could get some of that green metallic flake paint? I got some chip repair paint from halfords which I tried on a small spot under the seat clamp and it's just not quite the right green.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

ps. it was interesting to read about the decals how did you get a hold of those?

pps. I'm pretty new to bike restoring etc so please go easy on me if these are stupid questions.

Latest posts

Back