MTB Terrain Fear

Sharp slate that sticks up like sharks fins ! plentry in Wales....the can grab your tires then cut you to ribbons :twisted:

unkleGsif":6x120cah said:
Anything outdoors and more than 2ft away from the internet fills me with cold shivers and the sweats :shock:

G

;)

I was going to say more than ten yards from the glow of the fire.

If not actually due to the terrain itself...

Sheep/goat trails.

Often, very inconsiderately, these animals will opt to jump across voids rather than go around. These can be little ditches, or thousand foot cliffs.

Bog.

I have only ever seen one chap getting dangerously stuck in a bog, but picking a safe path across an area of bog is tricky at the least.

Ice.

Goes without saying, any terrain covered in the stuff is many times more tricky, but the kind of trails that traverse near vertical slopes, with falls on the unlucky side, become a whole different thing once ice is a factor.

Unknown.

There is a strong reason to fear the unknown, and the combination of tiredness and the unknown has done for many. A benign looking headland with established paths and pleasant views can, in an instant, become your ending place as the turf is all that is left in the formation of a blowhole, for example.

As far as surfaces I don't care for riding on, rather than actual terrain, you can add wet mud, slime, ectoplasm, dead leaves, rotting seaweed and loose rock on any kind of slope for anything more than a short stretch to what would probably be a very long list.

Oh GOD! I cant go out ever again having rea dthis post.... death is everywhere :shock: :shock: :shock:

AGGGHHHHHHH

wallpaper-char-tweek-1024.jpg

G

boulders the size of cars, at speed, with cantis, and a piss pot lid :shock: other than that, nowt :D

Wet wood/tree roots. Specifically off camber and muddied and or diagonal across my chosen direction (which is a lot in Epping from now till April :( )

Uphill dread occasionally but not fear. Surely you dont have a knotted stomach and a weak bladder/bowels about cycling uphill :shock:

highlandsflyer":2kat5n46 said:
There is a strong reason to fear the unknown, and the combination of tiredness and the unknown has done for many. A benign looking headland with established paths and pleasant views can, in an instant, become your ending place as the turf is all that is left in the formation of a blowhole, for example.

Whilst we're talking unknowns and holes....the unexpected last-minute appearance of rabbit burrows in what looks like an otherwise plain bit of grassland. I've been dealt a few front-wheel jolts by those in the past!

Not a big fan either of that mix of chalky/flinty terrain that occurs here in the south - running up it in studded off-road shoes ain't a barrel of laughs. :(

David

Back