Tubs

No idea about the tape. I glue.
Would be interested to hear more though.

One thing they say about tubulars is that you can run them on lower pressure than clinchers. I don't pump mine up more than about 70-80.

I like a smoother ride.

Surely base tape coming off is more an issue with manufacturer than your installation .

I have just ordered some Vit Rallys so will report back when I get them .

I have some older tubes where base tape is coming off, but I think it is due to their old age .

A bit more information: I was riding tubulars in Italy during the summer.
I was doing quite a lot of longish climbs and descents - something that I am not really used to, living in Belgium.
I thought the problem might therefor be because of braking too much, which
could overheat the rims and thus melt the glue on the base tape. Would be interesting to know if others have come across this problem - it doesn't seem
to be a common one, otherwise I am sure it'd have come up before.

Cheers,

Johnny

sounds very unlikely. probably just a dodgy pair of tubs. They are cheap tyres, made somewhere in the Far East. I wouldn't worry about it. Just glue the base tape back on. Next time, try a different tub like one of the cheapos from Continental and see if you still have the same problem.

edit: just noticed the 180 under my username. what's that all about?

Please whoever said about squirting a sealing fuild inside don't. It can cause problems by sticking the latex tube to itself. It also goes off after 3 months or so.

I have glued and used Velox tape. Will always use Velox tape now as it so easy and the tub is on very seurely. I am urrently using Conti Gatorskin tub and I really like the ride on them. Next year I might try some veloflex tubs.

As fo hassle if you carry a canister of Vittorio pit stop, a spare tub, tape and pump maybe CO2 then you can try to repair the punctured tub with the pit stop but if it does not work then you have a spare tub and tape to replace the tub if neessary.

Changing a tub on the road is easy if it has been pre stretched. Also Conti Gator skins even when they are pre strethed for weeks are hard work to get on. Also aging the tyre in the dark can help improve the tyre apparantly. I have not tried this yet.

American Friend":htzpcagf said:
edit: just noticed the 180 under my username. what's that all about?

It refers to the fact you've made 180 posts. 180 is also the maximum score you can get with three darts in a round of darts. In the 1980s, televised darts commentators would shout 'one hundred and eighty!' when someone made this score. It's all part of our nation's rich sporting heritage :D

I remember that and the big fat beer swillers, smoking fags and playing darts on the telly.

Love sports like that.

Jocky Wilson used to drink absinthe before a match.

He had to give it up though - after all, absinthe makes the dart throw wander.

Er, what was this thread about again?

Back