GPS type app for Android - any recommendations?

sportstracklive

should satisfy your data collection urges - especially if you get the bluetooth heartrate monitor (that now works on Strava too)

free and paid for versions, it's a once only payment too, which is nice, unlike some others which are monthly/annually

We're on Strava over here. The dick measurement is fun, but you have to realise it's limitations. It's accurate to you GPS logging time and theirs, same with any GPS logger. So you may be logging every 3 second,s 1 second or 5 second. I think it's 3 on android with strave ? then it guesses the nearest to the made stat stop points, so could be as much as 5 secs or so over short distances. Also shortcuts or runs down the side of other runs don't work to well. as it only tries to match 70% of the route and the start stop... heck getting to technical now ;)
Keep the phone high up at the top of your rucksack so it has the best line of sight to the sky and you body and stuff isn't blocking it.

In all honesty, use what the people around you use so you can compare.

Strava is good for you own personal laps or routes though.

MaoMyRide and similar are also good.

I use Maveric and the free OS Explorer maps it provides for er maps, look around the area you are going and it caches them so you don't need a data connection. It will log to. I do have loads of Memory map maps but cannot be bothered to use them that and it filled my 8GB card transferring them.

Lie about the dick size, export from any app as a GPX, change the extension to TXT, edit the co-ord times, rename as GPX, import to Strava and become king of whatever the hell you fancy.

stewlewis":dc0onfpx said:
Lie about the dick size, export from any app as a GPX, change the extension to TXT, edit the co-ord times, rename as GPX, import to Strava and become king of whatever the hell you fancy.
Depends how you use it of course any app will do that. Just do it on a motorbike, throw the damn phone or drive in the car along the road stretch.

But compare to you friends (followers) or RetroBike group and its an added bit of fun. People motives vary.
It works well, you can get at and look at your data and track which bike has been ridden how far etc.

else **** it and don't bother to use one at all.

If you don't need to view live data on your phone as you go, any app will do and use Sporttracks offline. I've used that for years to keep logs. They are developing an phone app. too.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/

There are many alternatives available that all do much the same, Strava, Bikely, Mapmyride, Sportypal to name a few.

There's logging, ride analysis, mapping, routing, it depends which you want to do most of.

brocklanders023":9zmtzpjp said:
That's for big boys isn't it :eek:

hamster":9zmtzpjp said:
Endomondo does nice route tracking without the dick measurement bit of Strava.

Well, I've got Strava now, so I guess we'll see! :shock:

Maverick sounds interesting, I'll take a look at that, cheers.

Seems that there are two things here; tracking what you've done (Strava seeming to be the most used) and actual route-finding. Will see what use I can make out of Strava and maybe look into something like Back Country for exploring new areas if needed.

Thanks guys, great help as always :cool:

Back