The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

A great thread :D

As Mr Cheese says, it's relatively straightforward (and cheap) to make a cable that adds near to nothing. There's no magic, and very few parameters to minimise.

You will definitely make much bigger changes (and frequently, improvements, though I have made a few changes that I've changed back!) inside the equipment as there is so much more going on there than there ever can be in a length of wire, and because the equipment is always a price point compromise.

The CD63 / SE / Signature versions are all attempts to improve (or at least justify an increased price!) but they are not subtle tweaks, they are engineered improvements (for the most part - some are snake oil). Once you have a cable with low reactance and low resistance, thats it. End of. You can't do any more - unless you believe in painting them green or adding oak boxes along their length.

Here's a challenge for you. Sort out the clock in your CD player. Reduce it's jitter and phase noise (if that means buying a new clock and fitting it properly - I've seen some bad jobs - so be it) and then tell me it doesn't improve things tenfold over what any cable can do and I'll eat my own poo! :D

I'm so happy with my new cable and how it's put all my music into focus that i would not want to change the sound any more......!

I listen through a dedicated head phone amp and with this cable i have exactly the sound i want now, it's great.

But if I were to listen mainly to my full size set up, perhaps the change in sound is a bit less noticable than the headphone set up ???

I may change the clock and other tweeks in the cd player used in the speaker system, but there other strong variables, like room acoustics and positioning that can restrict or free up the sound there.

Why are women not in to hi-fi?? Never found one. None at hi-fi shows or in the hi-fi shops unless with their boy friend or husband.

It makes cycling look over populated with totty

My sister was to some extent - Marantz SE CD, Musical Fidelity Tempest amp. She always joked to me that one boyfriend said "wow, a woman who bi-wires her speakers!" :LOL:

...bi-wiring is a fad? Discuss. ;)

hamster":3ium42ai said:
My sister was to some extent - Marantz SE CD, Musical Fidelity Tempest amp. She always joked to me that one boyfriend said "wow, a woman who bi-wires her speakers!" :LOL:

...bi-wiring is a fad? Discuss. ;)

:LOL:

I'd love to bi wire & bi amp. But can't :( It would look so cool to have 4 mono blocks. :cool:

Same with motorcycling and asian and afro caribbean people. in the uk.....hardly any people in the uk from those back grounds into motorbikes in a big way as a leisure pastime...........this was noted on a motorcycle forum i might add.

Hamster you troll!! :LOL: Bi-wiring is nonsense - for the same reasons we've been banging on about. Nordost-generated method of selling the rich and clueless two sets of £5000 speaker cables instead of just one!

Bi-amping - particularly via active crossovers - that's another story, what with reductions in intermod distortion, and the benefits of feeding your mid and top amps with clean power not assaulted by ripple inducing, transient sapping bass drums :D

Back