RetroBike National Series Rd 7: Long Mynd ~ Aftermath

rc200ti":udw2v6id said:
I've checked the distance again, and the mapwheel says 21.09miles . Did anyone else record it and are there any height gains stats? A quick look at the os suggests around 3500ft.
According to Cyclemeter which is the GPS App for my iPhone the stats are as follows:

Ride time: 3hrs 15
Stopped time: 2hrs 58
Distance: 23.31 miles
Average speed: 7.16 mph
Max speed: 34.27 mph
Ascent: 2684 feet
Descent: 2707 feet
Calories: 1737

What it doesn't give me/I'm not sure about is what the highest point was

EDIT: just found this

8091384457_a8e393225d_z.jpg

rc200ti":20t1j17u said:
Gravy Monster I owe you a coke for clearing that first single-track climb.

Rat Power :cool:, Or maybe it was that screenwash from Lance Armstrongs car that I was drinking :LOL:

more from me later, but nelson wished he had not stopped going to zumba classes. it was starting to show :LOL:

Attachments

• RB-Long-Mynd-13.jpg
    RB-Long-Mynd-13.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,625
rc200ti":2dh5069x said:
I think stickers are being sorted by dsp.
Yes, my bad.
Didn't get them sorted out in time.

Anyone who was on the ride and would like one if you could send me your name and address via PM, I'll get some sent out as soon as I can get Gil to print them up.

My apologies once again but at least the ride was brilliant.

Already planning next year's series...

Right......thanks for a great day to everyone who made the effort to be there, the route was top stuff rob and it made the most of what must rate among the best views england has to offer!........

IMG_0357.jpg

the weather was odd but somehow perfect, i felt a full range of temperature from 'regretting i put a windproof on' hot on the first climb......to 'shivering like a $hitting dog' cold at the top 30 minutes later!......most odd!

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

i hope the panoramic pics come out from my IPHONE 4.5 too!.....

i learned how to pull grannies and argue with fellrunners in one stop too!.....dont ever google image 'GILF' either, it proved a pandora's box job for me thanks to matty!.......just say 'NO!'...... :shock:

the bangers and mash were epic!....

IMG_0353.jpg

mechanicals were at a minimum, although i did see rather more of the insides of steves rims than i expected.....(edit.....note!.....rimS).....

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

note the knowing look on spence's face as the incarcerated collie makes good its escape and suffers the 8 foot fall from his 'motivator' fanny pack!....

the stench of 30 sets of burning brake blocks lived on in my memory too!.... :LOL:

minton batch was as epic as ever......a little more eye opening than when accompanied by 6 inches of front and rear travel and 180mm discs, but we were all in the same wet bottomed shorted boat yesterday!

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

resprayed raleigh lizard of the ride went deservingly to matty......well done mate!.......just shows what a can of halfords engine black and £1400 can achieve!.....

IMG_0364.jpg

.....we are never going to hear the end of this one!.....

:LOL:

....until the twizzler gentlemen!...... :D

quick write up from me :D

as per usual i decided to make the fuel cost a bit more sensible, so a 3 day trip for me went via bristol to Argos cycles to pick up some newly painted rock shox lowers, then off to LLandegla (spelt right?) for some trail centre fun although i was cutting it fine for the closed gates at 6pm! great ride there on my ST4, berm and singletrack heaven! then on to Coed Y Brenin on saturday with my patriot66, trails were great as usual but having not ridden a trail centre on a weekend for a long time i quickly realised it was numpty central for the bike world! listening to people in the cafe after the ride talking about their exploits on the blue trail being "mental" and "awesome but very technical" is really quite sad and very surprisingly i saw 2 people (separately) without helmets both of which i remarked "wow, cool helmet" sarcastically, for those that don't know these trails are pretty rocky and can ride quite fast, an over the bar situation could easily end in a brain on the trail moment :roll:

i got to the hotel on saturday night, and by 7pm i had a migraine headache, i went to bed, couldn't even focus on the tv, luckily by the morning it had all but gone so having not had dinner the night before i really got my monies worth out the breakfast included at the hotel!! jumped in the van and headed to Long Mynd, as i am driving down the M54 i see a car with a bike on the roof in the driveside mirror, he goes past, rocky mountain on the roof, captain cosmic has his foot to the floor!! :LOL:

get to the car park, as usual there are the handshakes, the familiar faces, some unexpected and some people i'd not seen before (sorry if i didn't get your names or get to chat) all good though.

on to the ride, i was glad of the initial 1/2 mile or so road spin to get the legs going, i was on the new bike, the Demon, was trying to chat, but also trying to feel the new bike, it's first ride, did the gears work ok? the brakes? is the square rear end gonna give me back ache? so many things going through my head. we hit the first proper climb, i'm in first gear, was the duo chainset the wrong choice? no, got up it (except for the bit where almost everyone got off) in a 30 to 34 ratio, my easiest option, spent the next mile or so in that gear as it was a constant grass climb for a while. i was quite happy though as i wasn't at the back which is unusual for me on these rides but then i have been riding quite a bit recently, but perhaps the new bike is helping?

it was, those hubs, wow, they roll so well, i noticed that on some sections i was not starting pedalling until after other people and also was rolling up to them on downhills, it's surprising as it's actually very noticeable!

the fast downhill was a joy, to see howe the bike really handled and it was great, glad i swapped the tyres for this ride though! loose slightly rocky with enough bumps to pop the odd jump on :cool:

pub, i had ordered the roast beef, i wasn't man enough to finish it but what i did get through was awesome! :D

back on the bikes and that first climb did not appeal but i felt quite good going up it until i swallowed a fly for dessert!! :shock: then came that great end to the ride down a fantastic singletrack section between the hills, it felt like i hardly peddled in that whole section :cool:

we hit the road for the return to the carpark, initially i though i'd don't feel too bad but then the guv put my efforts to shame hitting TT mode leading the pack in! i couldn't hold on so eased up.

verdict on the trail: defo up for a return

verdict on the bike: just need to trim the bar width down, other than that, it was perfect, and it was nice to finally get it dirty! :D :D

thanks to Rob, Ed, Lee and anyonelse i have missed, spence for the beer and everybody for the usual chat :D

here's a few pics i got
GOPR0275.jpg

GOPR0274.jpg

GOPR0273.jpg

GOPR0267.jpg

GOPR0264.jpg

GOPR0257.jpg

GOPR0240.jpg

jonnyboy666":2s213pin said:
listening to people in the cafe after the ride talking about their exploits on the blue trail being "mental" and "awesome but very technical" is really quite sad

I hear you, there are some 'numptys' at the centres during the weekends but we all had to start somewhere, what the newbies doing blue runs need is a little bit of encouragement

the Demon was even nicer in the flesh by the way, mmmmmm square tubes ;)

1210tech":1abnx5aa said:
jonnyboy666":1abnx5aa said:
listening to people in the cafe after the ride talking about their exploits on the blue trail being "mental" and "awesome but very technical" is really quite sad

I hear you, there are some 'numptys' at the centres during the weekends but we all had to start somewhere, what the newbies doing blue runs need is a little bit of encouragement

wasn't that they were beginners, it was like that surfing/bank robbery film Pointbreak when they were all saying "Dude!!" too much! :LOL:

jonnyboy666":3gi0dnb6 said:
1210tech":3gi0dnb6 said:
jonnyboy666":3gi0dnb6 said:

wasn't that they were beginners, it was like that surfing/bank robbery film Pointbreak when they were all saying "Dude!!" too much! :LOL:
did they rob the place of all its cake afterwards? :LOL:

Back