RetroBike National Series Rd 7: Long Mynd ~ Aftermath

What a great day out with a gret bunch of fella's, I dont get out much on the nationals but I couldn't miss this one, and what a ride, thanks Rob for the route.

It was a great ride to aquire my first sticker!

The GT however didn't fair to well, the crank has gone the bb has gone, the rear end is as loose as Mat.

Oh did I mention the Gary Fisher? :oops:

Myshrall189":3dziulpa said:
Hi all. As my first experience of a retro bikes event. I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks to all involved in a well run event. Everyone was very welcoming and made for a good day. No major problems with the bike other than the engine failed after lunch. More practice needed I think. Enjoyed the technical single track at the end even after being upside down in the bracken. The favourite memory though is the smell of burning brake blocks on a fat road section. Mmmmmm

Can't wait for Cannock.
As you are so close to our stomping ground we shall be seeing you on our night rides shall we? we have spare lights if you should need to borrow one.

HoPefully yes. Not this week as my 5 month old baby needs looking after. I need the practice though as was just about done after lunch.

petitpal":1b5s3fmy said:
By teh way elpedro wasn't until the end of that awesome minton thingy trail that I realised that it was you who'd been following me about a foot away on an earlier downhill section, unsighted, shouting 'why are you going up there...' :D

:LOL:
I was just hoping it was an 'informed line choice', rather than just following you into a pile up in the heather! Worked well I thought, although it was nervewracking only being able to see the couple of yards of trail between our wheels!

Think that may actually have been my favourite bit, pub notwithstanding.

Which reminds me, big thanks to whoever very kindly kept the mouthy lot away from my mum at the pub stop! :LOL:

Rob you legend
Lovely day out in the mud and sunshine
Great bunch of guys as usual ,well done newbies good effort ;)
That climb up onto the Mynd was almost rideable...just need to get some more practice with the new Sidis
Loved Johns heckling of the fell runners...they did seem too serious
Then dropping down into the valley there was that wicked rocky road ,could have done with a few more bits of marshmallow mind or Mynd...then speeding down the hill to open gates with Phil I became acutely aware of mismatching speed with terrain trying to keep up that bit was a highlight...made me feel 20 years younger cheers buddy.
Loved the Pub ....the comment as we were all sat waiting for our grub "it's like the last supper" :LOL: John does have a halo sure but there the similarity ends
Matt as Judas :LOL: Matt and Darren two very funny fellas I loved all the banter .Sorry about holding you all up with Puncture No 1 as we left.
Then that epic but very rideable climb back up onto the Mynd was as I described it to Elpedro 'at least it's merciful'
Then as we left from the groupshot I hit a rock on the way down to the road and had puncture No 2 which provided my West Midlands chums with more pisstaking opportunity ....thanks for the tube Daj you guys are brill.
Then the Drop down Minton Batch ...absolutely brilliant I was nervous about my ability but it was great and an enjoyable road section back into Church Stretton I had a chuckle with Ian who had misheard me talking to Rob about my Carbon soul....very dark
And we were back in the carpark before we knew it quaffing Spencers excellent ale and rooting around in our pop up carboot sale.
Awesome scenery on the :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think stickers are being sorted by dsp.
I've checked the distance again, and the mapwheel says 21.09miles . Did anyone else record it and are there any height gains stats? A quick look at the os suggests around 3500ft.
Gravy Monster I owe you a coke for clearing that first single-track climb.

Myshrall189":kc7eflee said:
The favourite memory though is the smell of burning brake blocks on a fat road section. Mmmmmm
Ha, yeah, I'd forgot about that til now, I kinda miss that using disc brakes :D

Legacy555":kc7eflee said:
It was a great ride to aquire my first sticker!
Ok, so how do I get my first sticker, was I supposed to grab one at some point during yesterday, would like to display it in pride of place on the RC300 ;)

EDIT: just seen this
rc200ti":kc7eflee said:
I think stickers are being sorted by dsp.
thanks Rob

elPedro666":3ninu6s2 said:
petitpal":3ninu6s2 said:
By teh way elpedro wasn't until the end of that awesome minton thingy trail that I realised that it was you who'd been following me about a foot away on an earlier downhill section, unsighted, shouting 'why are you going up there...' :D

:LOL:
I was just hoping it was an 'informed line choice', rather than just following you into a pile up in the heather! Worked well I thought, although it was nervewracking only being able to see the couple of yards of trail between our wheels!

I think it was mainly an informed line of, 'I'd rather face plant in heather than rock' but did seem to work out alright... (luck rather than judgement).

This brings me to something else actually - was fantastic to be riding fast with a big group of bikes again. The fire track leading to road (the lead to the top of Mynton Batch (yes I insist on spelling it differently every time)) was huge amounts of fun - flat out, wheel to wheel. Hillarious. :) But like elpedro666 said - quite a few times when I was quite nervous about what was coming up as couldn't sight more than about a foot away. :D

And suprised no-one's mentioned the 'rock road of death' just before the first gate. Was amazed I survived that - arrived way too fast (despite the warnings!) and just had to hang on and hope... :D

Latest posts

Back