1994 PROFLEX 854 RED - GETTIN' THERE!

34henry3w

Retro Guru
I have wanted this bike for years. Every time I saw one for sale, it was in super poor, unoriginal condition..and the wrong size..then this one feel out of the sky..

It is in ridiculous original condition...hardly a scratch!...never taken off road.

Aside from new elastomers which I will get from suspensionforkparts.com, I need the following parts..anyone have them?

-NOS Onza Porc II 2.1 Skinwall Kevlar
-NOS Vetta SL Vandium

Thanks!

Attachments

• pro5800.jpg
    pro5800.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 4,416
  • photo (6)l.JPG
    photo (6)l.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 4,417
  • photo (5)l.JPG
    photo (5)l.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 4,417
this one is going slow but getting there...

-NOS onza porcs...some guy on ebay has been posting sets of these..looked too good to be true but they have arrived and are perfect!
-Custom made elastomers. I will cut to length.
-I am still looking for an NOS vetta SL saddle...and it will be done!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 4,218
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 4,218
Nice :cool: , i have a fondness for these as my first proper MTB was a Proflex, a 752 bought new in 92, had the frame replaced under warranty as the bottom bracket ran loose, Offroad replaced it with a lovely grey/silver 852.

Kind of had half an eye open for one, i'm at the opposite end of the scale though, i'd need a 16" frame :LOL:

hi
nice bike. me and a friend of mine bought a couple of these new in 1994.
still have them too. but elastomers have gone hard.
any chance on getting a couple tubes of those elastomers?
then could get these back on the road.
pm me with info.
thanks
roy

Hi,
Would also be interested in some of those elastomers to ressurect my 856 if you have any info on a supplier?? Regards Darren.

Hey everyone,

I definitely will share the source once I cut them down and confirm they actually work....dont want you all to waste your money for nothing!

The inner and out diameter are exact, (10mm, 40mm) and the color is very close...but it is not as porous as the original so dirt /grease doesn't stick like the originals. I think they may be a little too hard but they make several different durometers.

The price for 12'' was $50 CDN shipped, so this is dirt cheap...that's enough for both my 854 and 856 if i dont mess it up on the chop saw!..of course really i should have two different hardness's so we will see..

To be continued.

Hi, also interested in the Elastomers, If enough people interested it may make sense to do a bulk order if posible, save on the shipping costs?

Great Flex, its given me the nudge to get mine sorted :)

:D

ok I think this actually is going to work..I cut the elastomers to 38mm, expecting them to explode or deform while cutting...nope...perfect cut....like warm butter.

I noticed that the inner diameter of the elastomer is too tight for my 854...I measured it from my 856 and assumed it was the same...it isnt. I will have to order new ones that have a slightly larger inner diameter...no problem...they make them.

Once I bolted them up (despite being just mocked up and too tight I pushed up and down and they felt great...a bit too hard...I might order one durometer lower for the top elastomer...trial and error!

Again I will post the source once I have everything i need and am sure it works.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 3,957
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 3,955
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 3,955
Back