what is the best value hardtail for under £ 400 ???

coz I want to keep same components across bikes - all others are 9 speed .....it keeps things simple as to spares, don't get me started on disc brakes or chainsets/bottom bracket variations!!! I have thought about how many times I have had to swap parts between bikes and it is zero or 1 but I'm keeping that quiet :cool:

02gf74":2bnfrdxn said:
suburbanreuben":2bnfrdxn said:
I suppose I can just carry on using my 1999 GF which has XT/LX/carbon fibre goodness that cost over £ 1500 to commute and just factor in some depreciation but that seems a bit of a waste.

That is exactly the sort of bike you'll pick up for £250-400 used. You already have what you're looking for...
You could get something similar and swap bits around all day long. ;)

to me, my GF set me back in excess of 1500 even though s/h would be worth sub 300 - to replace it with same spec would therefore cost me similar - a cheapy £ 300 would have only cost me £ 300.... maybe my logic is all screwed up hence I need to sit in a darkened room and have a big think, :idea:

02gf74":11ijx75a said:
to me, my GF set me back in excess of 1500 even though s/h would be worth sub 300 - to replace it with same spec would therefore cost me similar - a cheapy £ 300 would have only cost me £ 300.... maybe my logic is all screwed up hence I need to sit in a darkened room and have a big think, :idea:
At last, you're talking sense! ;) ;) :LOL:

Dead Rats":oyz6oqe8 said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224982

thanks but no good, please see 1st post:

available in 19 or 20 in frame (Horizontal top tube circa 600 mm)

well, right or wrong. I just bought the Felt - £ 342 as it was reduced further. :idea: :roll:

got tired getting outbid on ebay for s/h bikes of similar spec for ever so slightly less money - at least this will be delivered so no hassle with travellling plus will have warranty.

I can post photos when the bike arrives if there is any interest. :?
but should look like this:
Q620_RED_2012_SMALL__74477_tiny.jpg

Interesting thread! :LOL:

I'm loosely tasked with finding my friend a bike for under £200,

You don't get a lot for that figure, not on eBay anyway, specially as he wants suspension forks and a large frame. I priced up building a quality bargain frame used ok forks, and cheap bits and even that was over 250, hmmm

Sounds its his ladies major birthday to fork out for soon so search will resume at some point in the near future....

reanimation":1rg4fepi said:
Interesting thread! :LOL:

I'm loosely tasked with finding my friend a bike for under £200,

You don't get a lot for that figure, not on eBay anyway, specially as he wants suspension forks and a large frame. I priced up building a quality bargain frame used ok forks, and cheap bits and even that was over 250, hmmm

Sounds its his ladies major birthday to fork out for soon so search will resume at some point in the near future....

I got a DiamondBack Axis 96, with Judy's for £68 on ebay last week. They are there to be found

Back