a sad day

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
On Tuesday I crashed at speed on my Dolan built Cougar. For me this resulted in concussion, cuts, grazes, black eye, bruises, broken helmet, shredded shorts. For the Cougar it was terminal. Both chainstays cracked by the bb. I hopped back on and rode the ten miles to a+e and was wondering why the front mech was skipping - the stays were flexing as I pedalled. It was only later when the concussion had firmly set in, and the adrenaline had worn off did I discover the frame damage. Sad, expensive day. But at least the sun was shining and I walked away with only minor injuries.

Pity - great paint job. Anyway that nice Mr Dolan will soon be dispatching one of his new fangled carbon frames to me.

Pics of my late Cougar in my gallery below

I think this is actually a good news story in that you crashed but are able to type about it. It also means you get to have another project. Hard to feel great about an 'off', but try and learn from it and get back out there when you can, but take it easy (to start with) ;)

Let the poor old thing go out in a blaze of glory. Show us the pics! Did anyone (driver) stop to offer help as you made your way to A & E? Many moons ago I had a similar off (with the aid of a Fiat Punto that had no working brake lights). I too had to ride to get help and many people flagged me down with offers of a lift. There was a lot of blood as a big chunnk of face had gone where I used it as an emergency brake block.

How did your's happen?

The crash - taking a fast corner that sucks you in to overcooking it. But I know how fast I can take the corner safely. Sadly last Tuesday there was a fair bit of debris in the road, sand, grit and gravel. Right where I didn't want it to be. So I'm steering to go left but continue drifting right towards the drystone wall. I knew I was going to hit it, or worse go over the top of it and down about 20 foot into a back garden. I chose the wall as the lesser of two evils. The stem imprint bruise on my chest suggests I ducked down and into the wall.

Have to agree that it could quite easily have been a lot worse. Without a helmet I would have been very poorly indeed. If I'd gone over the wall again best not to think about the consequences. Apart from masive bruises, some lost blood and some expensive broken bits of kit., I got off very likely. Which might explain why I'm not truly devastated about the frame.

Back