Lost brake screw

Chrishas

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I've got a Raleigh Ace of which I've changed the handlebars to dropbars. The brakes are DiaCompe and each break has 2 leverson each side, a normal dropbar style and an extended lever which helps when you are holding the top of the dropbars. Unfortunately the screw which holds the extended lever in place is lost and I'm trying to find a replacement.

Where is the best place to find a replacement? On the lever is written: DIA-COMPE US.PAT.3403577, and on the other side: 09 80 JAPAN A. I've tried eBay but haven't been able to find a matching model, plus I could only find sets of levers or brakes which looked the same.

Would a screw from a different model match?

Thanks in advance,
Chrishas

I bet it is a standard M5 Allen bolt. Take the other one out and see what is available in your local hardware store.

In the states we used to call brakes with that set up safety levers, they were anything but. I removed many of them, replacing the extended pivot with a shorter one.

I'd lose them and replace the levers, however if you must keep them many shops will have what you need in old parts bins.

Back