Un-happy Clubrun !!!

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Well I've got a modern Wilier road bike which I have had for two years and has performed faultlessly right up until today :(

I flicked the chain off the big ring to the little ring and it fell off! Then within seconds the rear mech took up
the chain slack and then to my shock and god knows what happened next but the rear mech' went up the gears
and the bottom of the pulley cage engaged the spokes resulting in the hanger bending and the rear mech' snapped in two and bending the chain to death.

The rear mech' was adjusted so it cannot foul the spokes but somehow it did, but looking at it the chain had gone over the lower part of the cage.

I've seen many modern bikes do this and never thought it would happen to me :cry:

Its going to cost £90 for a new mech' + Chain + Hanger :twisted:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I know I can still buy the 2010 veloce rear mechs. I can check the price tommorrow. The new ones are £60 or so. A 2010 one is a bit cheaper as I bought one recently for my wifes bike.

had a mate once who bust a rear mech......then bought a new XT a few days later but ...first ride out, a stout twig jammed in the mech someghow and snapped the mech body !!! not the hanger.....he was not happy..............sorry for your loss, it can just happen at times, a combination of moving parts fighting with each other when one of them trips up.........chains do funny shapes sideways when backing up as thus go in towards the spokes and take the mech with it.........not pretty.

My bike broke down some 20 miles from home but luckily i'm not bad at fixing things by the road side
and carry many tools just in case of a major breakdown, out came the tools rear mech' taken off and cable removed,
all the bent chain straightened goodish and used four 'missing links' and then made it into a single speed job, some newbie
riders looked in amazement as to what I did to a geared bike, though I kep't wanting to change gear on the way home.

Was truly tatered in trying to keep up with the guys who were on the big rings :roll:

my down tube shifters fell off on a ride. It was Vitus frame and a 3mm bolt decided to call it a day. the shifters were trailing behind me in a 'just married' sort of way.

I managed the rest of the ride in single speed mode...

I was walking to the shops today and heard a sad scraping, dragging type of sound behind me. Turned round and it was a guy pushing a nice old Saracen with the rear mech dragging along the ground hanging from the cable and dragging along the ground. With the rear hanger still attached to the mech. He's managed to completely tear the hanger off the frame.

It was sad to see an old frame completely stuffed.

Back