Brian Rourke - Knowledge needed! (most likely a carlton)

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A friend of mine has just acquired this lovely piece of bicycle

IMG_20121014_155011.jpg

IMG_20121014_155025.jpg

IMG_20121014_155036.jpg

No apparent markings, frame number etc, but is nicely made, and has nice kit too, mostly shimano 600. I'm not 100% certain the 600 stuff is original

So, can anyone tell me more about it?

Looks like a Raleigh / Carlton etc 80's vintage. Is here a frame number on it anywhere ?

Shaun

Down the seat tube near the seat cluster, Non-drive side rear drop out? lugs are a Crespera lookalike, brakes are nutted so early eighties.

Does the seat post have a size stamped on it?

Shaun

Unfortunately it's not at my house any more. I'll have another look next time i see my friend. I'm inclined to agree with you having doine a bit of digging.

while it was here i weighed it at 23lb

the rourke decals look old, and they look legit too. My suspicion is it may have been refinished there at some stage - do/did rourke ever do the "Argos thing" of putting their brand on stuff they repainted?

cce":2zlwocw9 said:
do/did rourke ever do the "Argos thing" of putting their brand on stuff they repainted?

Yes, they do, I have seen a couple of bikes that are definitely not Rourke but have the Rourke decals. Also, I thought all Rourke made frames had wraparound seat stays.

NeilM":208k25i3 said:
cce":208k25i3 said:
do/did rourke ever do the "Argos thing" of putting their brand on stuff they repainted?

Yes, they do, I have seen a couple of bikes that are definitely not Rourke but have the Rourke decals. Also, I thought all Rourke made frames had wraparound seat stays.

I'm sure Rourke always do wrap around seat stays on their own frames:

3902413296_cf1e21a824.jpg

No i'm not. It belongs to a friend of mine, who bought it from someone she works with, who I dont think is called andy either. so it looks like it's been on the move

Back