Are these parts campagnolo 50th?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

All the parts that came on my bike are from the 50th Group, apart from the pedals & hubs ...

I can't find any detailed photos for the BB & headset that were in the 50th set.

Are these parts from the 50th set or are they from another groupset?

http://www.lejog4amr.co.uk/50th.shtml

The headset definitely isn't Super Record of any flavour - it's much later, C-Record or some such although the spacers look like Super Record.

As for the bottom bracket I have no idea if they made a special one or not but I would think the bolts would be silver like the standard item not black.

Edit: Just seen this page where if you zoom in on the BB you can indeed see black bolts.

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... p-for.html

Mark.

I'm wondering if the 50th set just had c record Bb and headset rather than make special 50th versions.

Hi,

I'd have the BB as earlier than 50th (1983). It's a Record by the looks of things due to the thin wall cup (as opposed to Nuovo Record that had the thick `rifled' cups). Also the matt silver finish suggests late 70s/ early '80s whilst the markings denote post '78 dimension revision. Pre revision would be 70-SS-120.

A C-Record BB shiny silver, shorter, would have a shield logo and the cups would be alloy, not steel.

Paul

Says 70-SS on the Bb. Seems there are a few on eBay that look exactly the same listed as C Record.

Was there special 50th versions?

C-Record wasn't released until 1986 three years after the 50th Anniversary so no your headset definitely isn't part of the groupset. The C-Record bottom bracket axle was shorter than Super Record so even if it had been around it wouldn't have been suitable for the cranks.

Your BB looks like the standard Nouvo Record one which is apparently what they supplied with the 50th groupset so very probably original - Campag BBs of that era were extremely long lasting in my experience. Even Campag couldn't be bothered to make a specially stamped BB axle that no one would see!

Mark.

Deax":2l9qf6o0 said:
Hi,

I'd have the BB as earlier than 50th (1983). It's a Record by the looks of things due to the thin wall cup (as opposed to Nuovo Record that had the thick `rifled' cups). Also the matt silver finish suggests late 70s/ early '80s whilst the markings denote post '78 dimension revision. Pre revision would be 70-SS-120.

A C-Record BB shiny silver, shorter, would have a shield logo and the cups would be alloy, not steel.

Paul

Hmm, I thought the cup had rifling - my old eyes deceived me.

Montello":2l9qf6o0 said:
Says 70-SS on the Bb. Seems there are a few on eBay that look exactly the same listed as C Record

70-SS just means 70mm Italian bracket shell fitting and SS for road. So you would see that on a few different models of axle.

Mark.

Hi,

I've got plenty of Campag BBs and have learnt quite a bit over the last couple of years.

70-SS tells me that it's an Italian road BB set. All models of Campag square taper type bottom bracket sets from '78 to certainly the early 90s (when my interest runs out!) could have been stamped 70-SS, or a near equivalent e.g. 70-SSa.

Where the different models vary is in
a) the length of the axle - the newer groups such as Chorus, Croce, C-Record would have shorter axles than the older Record / Super Record / 50th. For a road, double chainset 68-SS (British) or 70-SS (Italian) of the earlier type, it's about 114mm total, for the later it's about 111mm.
b) the materials used - most axles are steel, but there were 2 versions of titanium Super Record - these suffered bad PR when team Renault Gitane suffered a number of breakages including a very public one when Fignon's axle snapped when he'd broken away in Blois - Chaville in '82. Cause the team to move from Campag for '83 and really ended the appetite for Campag titanium axles. I think these had ceased by '84 ish when C-Reord came along. It was all steel after that. I don't (alas!) have a 50th group set, but I'm sure the axle was steel (looks steel in the pictures on this thread). Cups were mostly steel, except the aforementioned Super Record (alloy with steel race inserts) and this was repeated for C-Record. Super Record titanium sets had a different ball bearing size - not sure about C-Record, but I could check.
c) Cup thickness. Skinny Record cups persisted right through and appeared latterly on the lower end of the range (Athena, Chorus of the late 80s have thin cups). Nuovo Record are thicker with the `rifled hole to better protect against dirt ingress. Again, not having one, but I'm sure the 50th BB would be of the Nuovo Record type. Your picture seems to suggest thin cups. Thin cups demand a different axle design and should not be confused. The markings don't give anything away - you need to get the vernier out and measure the distances between the bearing location ridges and each of those and respective ends of the axle.

Record BB sets are known as 1046 and Nouvo Record 1046a.

Sorry - a little long winded, hope it helps!

So, is the consensus this is nouovo record that was standard with the 50th group?

Back