Strada bianche - my bike for l'eroica

Thank you all for your best wishes :)

@Johnsqual
I did inflate the seat a couple of times with a small hand pump. It works okay, but I prefer the seat sans air.

Hi Odeley, I did well. Both myself and bike! It was an absolutely great experience. I opted for the 135km. Good thing is leaves a challenge open for next time: the 205 :) Even though it is 'only' 135, it is still a quite tough ride. Imo the riding is more or less like mountainbiking, but than on a vintage roadbike: short steep climbs and than down again. Combined with the roadsurfaces with dust, loose gravel, holes, mild bumbs etc it requires a decent level of skills - especially if you maintain a certain pace.

During the ride there were several food stops with products from the region. Old bikes, authenticity, good food - it is all centered around the good life.

A photo footage >>>

Classic bike parts fleamarket on the Saturday:

8080414617_e8b0c56d03_c.jpg

Czechoslovakian Favorit:

8080407360_4de4382f22_c.jpg

l'eroica dog:

8080413015_75924902d4_c.jpg

I purchased two pair Nuovo Record repro hoods on the fleamarket. 15 euro pp - very sympathic price!

View on Gaiole:

8080405644_5fd80a0f31_c.jpg

Our bikes:

8080410527_68d0e9cecd_c.jpg

Koga-Miyata GentsRacer, Mercian 753, Vittorio Strada

'3900':

8080402448_b0551651a8_c.jpg

....and this is how I look as very committed rider:

8080510911_2291815e1e_h.jpg

Wearing the Retrobike jersey cost me a bottle wine and fine cheese at the finish, but I am confident John is willing to make up for that considering my promotion efforts for Retrobike ;) Wine and cheese was for people wearing wool jersey and that even included the modernish Brooks ones. Some Dutch participants were very upset. They thought they were wearing proper vintage jerseys, what they were, but it was no wool. Missing out on the oppertunity of something 'gratis' is a big thing if you're Dutch.

Mel, good see you pulling up that climb whilst others pushed :D it was a great event, one my lot are keen to revisit. Wish I'd more time at the market on Saturday, although that might be costly.....

DSCN0210 by gmac123, on Flickr
Nice to talk with you over a beer in Siena, we continued to have a great recovery day of good food and fine wine in the sun :LOL:

We also missed out on the finish line bounty, as our jerseys for the event were not woolie enough :evil: and to think I'd swapped out aero hoods and look pedals on a pre 87 bike to honor the occasion..ahh well.

Look forward to a return

Missed you guys....I did the 205km on the hetchins.....it was a fantastic weekend though.....roll on next year!

I will be buying this one, and the finish one!

955133ED-5A86-4F8E-9E2A-B7F002FC76E8-2231-0000033B4C1ECD4B.jpg

Great you enjoyed too. & Sweet bike! :cool: I remember having seen several Hetchins': green, chrome ...but I don't recal a red one.

Thanks!
I think there were 6-7 there.....I spoke to 3 others's owners :LOL:

You lot will have to encourage us to do the retro ronde next year!

Hey,

Congratulations on the ride. I really hope I can make it next year.

Interesting choice of footwear, too. Was it easier without toe clips?
I don't suppose the organisers would let you use those ugly plastic
clips. They would be a good compromise though.

And about the jerseys: what exactly is the rule? I have a lot of
jerseys in my collection that are knitted acrylic rather than proper wool.
Do the jerseys actually have to be real sheep's wool?

Johnny

Back