1980 Pinarello fg/ss track bike with history!

Thanks all, one final pic of it next to the sea, bench, cats etc :LOL:

Those 32 year old tubs are still holding up despite some pretty gritty sections on the Brighton prom!

The day after I took this pic I spent a few hours cleaning up the rims, it took nitromors carefully applied over the solidified wax (?) to remove it. The rims, hubs and spokes are now lovely and shiney but still have a decent amount of patina to match the bike.

photo120.jpg

I have just realised my little cycling mad brother in law lives minutes away from the Bournemouth outdoor track :cool:
The next pic of it on here will be a decent scene :cool:

Very interesting machine, it's a pity you can't trace any more info on it. Also, the chainwheel looks as if it was an original Campag Pista 151 BCD one but it has been milled out to fit a smaller size. What are the cranks?

Cheers.
Yes the chainring is very interesting in that the holes have been machined/slotted for some reason. It's been done right for whatever reason. The arms are 165mm pista marked items. Both are stamped FCI too. I could I guess get in touch with the FCI - they still have a large site VVVV
I would love to know exactly what the bike was used for, a training bike for the Italian cycling team for the 1980 Olympics was mentioned but how I'd prove that.....

http://www.federciclismo.it/index.asp

shawnb":2m7amtul said:
Cheers.
Yes the chainring is very interesting in that the holes have been machined/slotted for some reason. It's been done right for whatever reason. The arms are 165mm pista marked items. Both are stamped FCI too. I could I guess get in touch with the FCI - they still have a large site VVVV
I would love to know exactly what the bike was used for, a training bike for the Italian cycling team for the 1980 Olympics was mentioned but how I'd prove that.....

http://www.federciclismo.it/index.asp

As Old Ned said the chainring is slotted because they took a track ring with a 151 bcd and altered it to fit on the newer 144 bcd crank.

I love bikes like this because you can just imagine the racers riding the heck out of these machines, and probably tossing them down afterwards. What is now a precious collectible was at one time only a tool to be used.

Back