Does the cut-off date for this forum get updated each year?

I do think the 98+ section of the site has lost it's connection to the retro-ness of the site.

We all have modern bikes and want to talk about them here too as it is a nice place but the ones that suffer are the 98/99/00 retro bikes, custom and boutique and even early or iconic full sussers get lost among the truly modern fair.

The Ken":16tcuh3i said:
I do think the 98+ section of the site has lost it's connection to the retro-ness of the site.

We all have modern bikes and want to talk about them here too as it is a nice place but the ones that suffer are the 98/99/00 retro bikes, custom and boutique and even early or iconic full sussers get lost among the truly modern fair.

There are some truly modern bikes in there, but there are also bikes with retro touches and several of the "iconic" ones you mentioned. In fact there still are more "retro" MTBs in there than truly modern ones.

Raging_Bulls":3kdbed9g said:
The Ken":3kdbed9g said:

There are some truly modern bikes in there, but there are also bikes with retro touches and several of the "iconic" ones you mentioned. In fact there still are more "retro" MTBs in there than truly modern ones.

but the modern bike posting as mentioned does put people off posting in there or reading. I know I don't look in there other than for the polls or sale section unless the since last post shows something interesting.

the moderns spoil it.
of course it was created Becquerel moderns ended up in Retro talk and sales and not off topic. I still think modern stuff. should be chucked out and piled in a one for all. 'offtopic modern : shite and sales' thread and let the late 90' early 00's start its life. I do class my 97 explosif as my truely modern bike though ;)

What's modern though?

.... And why do modern bikes put people off? Seems a bit strange to me :? As is often said, if you're not interested don't open the thread.

From what I remember the 98+ section came about because the original one section design got too busy. The 98+ section can hardly be described as busy.

Saying all that, why not have a pre 94 section, a 95>2005 section and then a 2005+ one. That way I can ignore the 95>2005 section as I have little or no interest in bikes from that era ;)

brocklanders023":3n16nb9j said:
What's modern though?

.... And why do modern bikes put people off? Seems a bit strange to me :? As is often said, if you're not interested don't open the thread.

From what I remember the 98+ section came about because the original one section design got too busy. The 98+ section can hardly be described as busy.

Saying all that, why not have a pre 94 section, a 95>2005 section and then a 2005+ one. That way I can ignore the 95>2005 section as I have little or no interest in bikes from that era ;)

What puts people off. Well the fact they have come to a RETROBIKE website, for Vintage, Classic and Retro MTB, BMX and Road bikes.
It's not that modern bikes are crap or always ugly, it that this site is a 'Retro' site by name and tagline.

It was separated not because of clutter but because of all the modern sales and perceived modern bikes being posted in a Retro Site and not being posted in the Off Topic as they should have (off topic at the time I think went through a rough patch ;))
And newer and probably younger people were finding the site and finding late 90's and early 00's their thing. Still old bikes but not of say mine and the originals members 'era'. Unfortunately it seems to have been drowned out by modern bikes being posted, not necessarily lots of them, but as I mentioned it puts people off so interest in the section is slow. It may may not take of of an turn of the century retro bikes club.
As for don't open. don't read the thread. Unfortunately that doesn't work as you need to open it to see what the thread is about normally. Again blanking people from what might be an interesting era in bikes to people.

I wouldn't go to a classic car site and ask and sell my dodgy modern cars wares or ask how to fix it.
(since lots of people like to compare it to cars)

Read the sign on the door
retrobikelogo300px.png

perhaps we need then the following classifications

<----1997

1998-2005

2005----bugger off to a new bike forum :D

MTB is a market that's evolving rapidly. "-> 2010" is vintage nowadays. The other forums are filled with 2013 bikes already.

Besides ...

http://www.saenen.net/forums/fotos/copp ... 50025m.jpg

proper XC geometry as opposed to all that modern AM/DH stuff, amberwalls, lots of ano, boutique parts, ...

Sound familiar? Yup, this is what we did to our bikes in the mid-90s.
It may be a modern in age and components, but it's retro in spirit. And IMO that's enough to justify its presence here.

sylus":96snxrs6 said:
perhaps we need then the following classifications

<----1997

1998-2005

2005----bugger off to a new bike forum :D

+1

I think the best way to manage it would be rolling incrementing sub forum for each 5-7 year period.

So ideally pre 90, 90-97, 98-05, 06-13 then as years go by add more.

If people want to post moderns then let them- just give them a category to do it in.

Or perhaps use different forum software, where there's just one forum and some way of tagging threads with the approx year of the build. Then allow readers to choose their own date range to peruse!

Back