Anyone feel like Paypal is trying to steal their identity?

at work we don't use it on ebay sales, and i wouldn't ever use it personally. we had a right theiving bastard stitch us up on evilblag through paypal when we first started using ebay, paypal refunded his money from our account before he returned the goods and of course he didn't send them back, we refused to bring our account back up to zero because by refunding him our account was in the -ve. this argument went on with them for a while untill eventually we started getting calls from a debt collecting agency! we finally settled with them to avoid a county court judgement and strangely enough the debt collector was a helpful bloke(!) he told us that paypal are a holding company and even though they have access to everyones bank accounts they don't have to abide by the banking code that a normal bank has to abide by because technically they are not a bank.

think of it this way, you go to tesco's to buy your weekly shopping and hand the money to a random person (and pay them a bit) to then give it to tesco's after you've gone, you just wouldn't do it would you!

why use paypal, it costs money to use, and most shops on ebay have credit card machines and you can phone them to pay straight away by card when you win an item, if it's private, cheque or postal order and just buy off people with good feedback etc, i find this works and have never had any problems as a seller or buyer since the paypal debacle!

that's my 2 pennies worth anyway! :D

Hell yeah I get annoyed with Paypal. First on a normal transaction they lock my account so I have to send them proof of address, then after my parents send me a bit of cash for my birthday (accidentally to the wrong account) I send it from one account to the one linked to my Australian bank accounts. Apparently they think this could be fraudulent even though both accounts are in my name, and so they take their cut first and then lock BOTH my accounts. Meanwhile I need to pay for something...

Have to supply copy of drivers licence and ANOTHER proof of address (like they know what I look like, how is photo ID any help?) and told it will then be unlocked. But it isn't and then they send me an email saying we need more information. MORE?! Please describe the following two transactions. First one was the birthday money, second was a transaction number that I had no record of whatsoever, so I told them so and added "but the last transaction was $450 for a shed, I built it this weekend do you want to see pictures?" They then unlocked the account with no explanation as to the transaction number I didn't recognise. Helpful... :x

stuey":2l1aflel said:
The last time I withdrew a large amount of cash - (to pay some builders)

My bank asked me lots of 'money laundering' question - "if they must know - The monies were for my sex change opperation."

They stopped bother me after that - but my butch mate who was 'minding me' got a a few funny looks. ;)

I take about £400-500 a week out of mine and have never been asked anything, nor have I had to provide Passport info.

neilll":1wrb4w4n said:
stuey":1wrb4w4n said:
The last time I withdrew a large amount of cash - (to pay some builders)

My bank asked me lots of 'money laundering' question - "if they must know - The monies were for my sex change opperation."

They stopped bother me after that - but my butch mate who was 'minding me' got a a few funny looks. ;)

I take about £400-500 a week out of mine and have never been asked anything, nor have I had to provide Passport info.

Then it's coming my friend, it's coming....... :?

hamster":15krjsmi said:
I think it's the legal issues for them in preventing money laundering that's the problem. My bank recently asked me to give them ID (I've been a customer for 23 years) for anti-money-laundering regs.
Me too. They locked my account out for a day or so while I did the ID thing. I'm just glad I managed to sort it out quickly. You know how the Columbians get when they're owed money :LOL:
They reckoned too much money had been going through my account :?
It was about £2k over 12months, just normal buying and selling of bike parts, frames etc. Not a lot compared to a lot of people.

Corduroyboy":3q5pr0gz said:
Then it's coming my friend, it's coming....... :?

Been doing it for years chap, been on PayPal since 2002 and I run an eBay Shop..maybe that's why they never bother me....cos i'm making the bastids richer from both directions :evil: :evil:

This happened to me 4 or 5 years ago. Somewhere there is a ruling that whenever a certain amount of money is received through paypal as a private person, you have to send additional information concerning your identity. As far as I know the amount was 6500 euro, once you exceed this amount in received cash they'll ask you for additional data. Complied with it after some complaining from my part (had to arrange everything with the US, as they didn't have a contact for Belgium yet) but once done never had any other requests or so. It's probably got to do with tax evasion rules, maybe the amount depends on in which country you live, I don't know. Still, paypal is by far the easiest way of sending money cross-border, if you don't belong to the Euro zone anyway (sorry guys), so I would bite the bullet and continue using paypal happily ever after ;)

Utterly agee.

I have this week had to re-verify my account for the third time and re-confirm my connected CC, all becaus ethey say I'm clearly a shop and am trading too much.

So far in 2008, I have bought/ sold...£14.00 through paypal/ ebay.

:LOL:

If I were a shaop I'd be worried about now. :LOL:

They are too big and too automated. Always going to end in tears isn't it.

:roll:

Back