Trek 2300 early 90's Update and new pics.

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Perhaps someone can tell the exact model but I believe it an early 90's Trek 2300 with carbon maintubes. I love the purple. The wheels are not the ones for this bike, they are for another bike. I am waiting for some purple Sapim nipples to build the wheels that this bike will wear.

Spec.
Ritchey bars
Shimano 6401 brake levers
Zenith Stem (cheap and silver)
105 headset
New 1055 crankset with a new 7400 53T chainring and purple chain ring bolts.
Shimano UN55 68x113mm BB
New PD 1056 pedals
New 1056 front mech
Old 1056 rear mech
HG50 12-21T 8 speed cassette
KMC Z82 chain
Old 1055 brakes
Thomson 26.8mm seatpost cut down (178g) with coke can shim for 27.0mm seat tube.
Sella Italia SLR XP seat
Cinelli bar tape.
Shimano D/T shifters SL S434
GP4000s tyres and supersonic tubes.
Wheels are currently DT Swiss RR415 28 spokes 2x F/R with Miche Primato hubs and Sapim laser spokes but the nipples are red which does not go with purple. These wheels are moving to another bike which will be painted red.

Current weight with pedals and two bottle cages but without pump, bottles and saddle bag is 8.88kg or 19.54 lbs.

The wheels it will be getting will be Kinlin XR-200 with Novatec A291/F482 hubs, CX-ray spokes and purple nipples. These will weigh 1330g hopefully they will be durable for me, they are an experiment.

The bike is one I will time trial on and perhaps race next year although I have been riding it weekly on club runs for the last month and love it.

With the new wheels the the weight will drop further. I like to find a light quill stem for it (current one is 280g) or change the forks to a modern set of carbon forks and use a light alloy stem. It will get some carbon bottle cages at some point.

However I am happy with it the way it is and will be even happier with wheels with purple nipples. I really enjoy riding it. It almost feels modern.

I wish I was better a taking picyures, a better camera would help so would washing the bike. Trek's of this era look so much better without Trek all over the bike and sometimes the rider.

Nice, think it's a 1992. I had one from 1997 for a couple of years but the bond of the seat tube into the bb shell failed so the parts went on a Lemond Zurich 853 that I still ride.

Thanks. That failure is abiot worrying :shock: I hope mine lasts a bit as I am really enjoying it. It is my club run bike at the moment.

Still need to get some carbon bottle cages for it though.

Well a winter update. The bike is in the shop waiting for spring or dry weather.

However the spec has changed. The 6401 left lever return spring let go of it springyness so Modolo lever which are bit lighter now operate the brakes. I quite like these levers.

The stem has been changed to a Cinelli Grammo Ti which is 184g. The old stem was 280g. It looks alot better as well.

the new wheels are built. Kinlin Xr-200 rims with Novatec hubs and spaim Laser spokes. Purple nipples too.

P1010011.jpg
the bike with the old Zenith stem.

P1010029.jpg
Cinelli grammo. It now fitted.

P1010013.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010012.jpg

I have one the way a s/H ultegra 6600 rear mech and a S/H Durace 10 speed cassette. I already have a 6600 chainset. I will use the 8 speed 105 set up for training rides but I will try the 10 speed set up and I want to start road racing next year and this is what I will use if I like friction shifting 10 speed.

It currently weight with the 105 groupset, new wheels, grammo stem e.t.c 8.38kg. With the 10 speed bits on it will weight 8.08 kg or 17.8 lbs.

I can't wait for better weather, maybe I won't wait either.

Back