Claude Butler Sierra 531 Touring Frame + bits for sale

chrisl

Retro Newbie
I built this up for my girlfriend but it's a touch too long for her so have donated her my Moser and this is now for sale.

Claude Butler Sierra - from around 1985 I believe, catalogue photo here:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_85/Sierra85.jpg

I bought the frame, forks and headset from fitzrovia cycles in the spring and built it up with some cheap wheels and an ultegra 6600 group that I picked up on this forum. She rode beautifully, felt very solid and had many admirers, we'll be sad to see her go! The frame has original paintwork with quite a few scratches but no rust other than one mark on the headtube shown in the photo. It's a beautiful paint job - quite an unusual lacquer that doesn't really come out in the photos. There are no dents or dings. It would make a great lightweight touring bike and if it were my size I would hang on to it!

Frame, Forks, Headset, New-ish Bottom Bracket, New-ish Mudguards & Band-on gear for a modern group - £150

A=23"
B=23"
C=7"

Additional parts that may be useful for a build:

Kalloy seatpost - 26.4mm -£5
Shimano 105 Crankset - 172.5mm - £18
3TTT Quill Stem - 90mm -£10 - gone
Generic Handlebars - 400mm - £10
Weinmann Alpha Brakes - came from old dawes diploma - £10
SRam 7 speed bar end shifter - came with a 90s gazelle - £5
Look SPD pedals - also from the gazelle - £5 - gone

All prices collected from London N16, I'd take £175 for the whole lot.

Chris

Attachments

• bike_size_diagram.jpg
    bike_size_diagram.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,721
  • Sierra_2.jpg
    Sierra_2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,720
  • Sierra_3.jpg
    Sierra_3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2,720
  • BarEndShifter.jpg
    BarEndShifter.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,721
  • Sierra_1.jpg
    Sierra_1.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 2,721
hi there, sorry not to be interested in buying this, but are they band on cable stops for stis? if so where do you get them?

also, where did you get / what is the cable guide called down by the front mech.

I am getting around to rebuilding a cb majestic with bar end shifters and need similar bits.

thanks very much. good luck with the sale,

ben

Yep, those are the ones.

At the time I built it they were out of stock of the double downtube stops so I went with two singles, which doesn't look quite as nice but turned out to be fortuitous because you can choose the position of the rear cable to suit the band on cable tunnel & the cable can travel down the top of the chainstay, where the cable stop for the other end is. Hope that makes sense? For the front dérailleur you need the cable tunnel, cable stop and some kind of cable adjuster - I used these:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jagwire-cabl ... prod24780/

As far as the sale goes, someone wants the stem but the rest is still up for grabs and I'm open to offers. I can also deliver to Glasgow this weekend if that helps...

Re:

Hello. I realise this thread was last posted in some 5 years ago, however I have just obtained this frame, and am looking at performing a similar upgrade - I would be grateful if you could advise on the components used - in particular, how many speeds the freewheel/cassette was, the RD used, and the levers. Thanks a bunch.

Latest posts

Back