1984 Raleigh Rapide

Hurrah!

My saddle and stickers arrived!! :D

P1030753.jpg

P1030752.jpg

P1030744.jpg

1.jpg

P1030749.jpg

Unfortunately the saddle came with a white stripe instead of red, but it is comfy and looks great. I painted the grooves in the seat post red to match the rest.

Just waiting on the head badge and stem bolt/quill[/img]

HAZZAH!

In the post yesterday came my stem bolt and quill and my head badge!

P1030765.jpg

P1030764.jpg

P1030762.jpg

P1030761.jpg

P1030760.jpg

P1030759.jpg

P1030757.jpg

P1030756.jpg

P1030754.jpg

P1030755.jpg

Now all i need to do is re-assemble the rear brake and re assemble the drivetrain!

Went out for my first ride on it yesterday. Only took it around 12 miles. 2x6 mile loops to make sure everything working the first time and to adjust position of seat/handlebars/stem etc second time. After the first loop my thumbs around the carpal tunnel really hurt so i took some advice off some other forum and the bars are now double wrapped and a pair of gloves with big gel pads on order.

Pics:

IMGP3895.jpg

IMGP3891.jpg

IMGP3899.jpg

IMGP3900.jpg

IMGP3879.jpg

IMGP3897.jpg

IMGP3882.jpg

IMGP3885.jpg

IMGP3893.jpg

IMGP3904.jpg

IMGP3877.jpg

[/img]

Most of your pictures don't show (could be due to my pc).

Just want to say though that despite not doing a reto job I think you've really done it justice. Got a real nice old feel to it and you've colour coded nicely, although I can't see much red detail on that seat.

Edit: it was my pc they're there now :)

Tel":2eytjh8g said:
Just want to say though that despite not doing a reto job I think you've really done it justice. Got a real nice old feel to it and you've colour coded nicely, although I can't see much red detail on that seat.

Thankyou, this is my first road bike. I had never ridden one before yesterday, let alone one from 1984 with downtube shifters!

When i ordered the saddle it was pictured as black with red lettering and red stripes at the front. Instead the one sent has white lettering and stripes, but it was half price and its a nice saddle so i cant complain too much.

Yes it looks fine. So how did you find you first time? Quicker than your mtb right!?

Regarding the discomfort in your hands; those hoods are notoriously uncomfortable and would be the first thing I'd replace personally. A nice pair of period Shimano levers on there, something like 105 aero.

thanks for the advice. Can i just replace the hood or are the hoods specific to the brake lever design, i think i read somewhere that Hudz (?) are meant to be really comfortable...

i know this will be met with some boos and hiss

But i have fitted some modern aero Tektro brake levers. i just wasnt getting on with the originals, they were too narrow and hurt my hands. the new ones are a lot more comfy. :)

also got some NOS 3TTT ergo bars and a 130mm stem which are lovely.

Back