Orange P7 from hibernation!

matt-s4

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
New to site and was told about yourselves from Cycle House in Warrington,

I've had my P7 since 1994 and used it all the time, just looked after it ;)
Anyway I recently went on holiday to Ibiza with the family and for something to do one day went out on the hotels bikes on a trail around Northern part of island, I forgot how much I enjoyed being out on a bike so decided to dig mine out from the back of the garage when I got home and called in to the shop as I wanted to replace my rear tyre but was told I should leave it as it is as 'retro' is in

My main concern other than the rear tyre was the elastomers in the forks as apart from keeping them topped up with grease years ago I have never seperated them only to replace the mediums to hard when I bought it, which I found in my box of tricks crumbling into dust!
Will the hard ones inside still be ok?
I have found 'Pace's' website who sell them still but as they seem to work its a case of if not broke don't mess :?

Frame no. if your interested is A94070199
It has Shimano Deore XT, which still work a treat
I even have my Nike Poobahs for my SPD's bit dated now

I hope to get out on it now and meet up with you northern guys sometime

Here's a few photos:

Attachments

• 29122011714.JPG
    29122011714.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 731
  • IMGP0001.JPG
    IMGP0001.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 731
  • IMGP0006.JPG
    IMGP0006.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 731
Very nice P7 you have there.

I would say looking at the pics your elastomers are pretty ruined and need replacing. Those forks look pretty much bottomed out hence the thought the elastomers are dead.

Thanks for that :)
This is why I came to this forum for help as shops now not really interested in selling parts for old bikes so glad I can purchase more elastomers from Pace
I think its the bit where I take them apart and open a can of worms or will I be ok? I have the tools to do the job so halfway there

I didnt post the fact about 5 years ago I had the bottom bracket replaced for a sealed Shimano as was shot/ creaking but never used it after that as family, work and cars took over my life!

Lovely! July 1994 making it one of the earliest P7s. You also got "old logo" hot rod bars.

:cool:

Thanks again
I was thinking of removing the bar ends and shortening the Hot Rod as had a Clockwork before, can't find any photos of that but will keep looking, and cut them bars down as felt and looked better, not sure now as daren't mess with it :shock:

Before you buy elastomers from Pace try justbackdated on the forum (super old advert here):
FE2.jpg

Or:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/profil ... ile&u=1139[/img]

That looks superb! I'd get the forks serviced and keep it as is, unless there's something wrong with the rear tyre. Maybe another set for riding if you're worried about them?

Tim at backdated is an ex pace chappie and will service them far better and cheaper than pace themselves

as to cutting the bars...I wouldn't with them being original. What I would do is put an ad in the wanted section for the same bars bars but a cut down bar then you will always have the originals and the smaller bars your after

as to meets

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180497

but also on the main forum page there are localised events and there is nothing to stop you saying I'm in ...... I'm thinking of going to ........ is there anyone interested?

Back