Large volume tyre with modest width?

d00m

Retro Guru
Is there such a thing? I need a tyre which has a lot of air between the ground and the rim, but is no wider than 2.1 to keep it fast. Sort of a high profile tyre! Does anyone do these nowadays?
I Only tyre I've had like this was the specialized resolution, but the grip wasn't outstanding on my local trails...

Any help is mucho appreciated!

Conti tyres may fit the bill. My Rubber Queen 2.2's have a ridiculous volume, but aren't that wide really. They do roll well though and seem ok in the wet.

Schwalbe 2.25" might work or their 2.1" versions. They're not mega wide I can even fit them in (most) my old bikes.
Pick the tread for your type of riding. They are pretty fast rolling tyres even the Nic's especially in this current muddy surfaced ground and wet chalk around here.

But what are we comparing fast to for fast?

Have a look through http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/mtb/ as they've moved the names and range around (nics are in all mountain and look at teh X-Country as well, apparenty these are not MTB)

Good shout on the conti's, I have an old set of 2.3 speedkings which look like balloon tyres, but too wide, and the grip is poor on anything other than dry woodland and hard pack. I'll check out their newer models...

As for schwalbe, I've never ridden any, but the nobby nic seems a solid all rounder, volume doesn't seem massive though, I'll need to see some in the flesh I think.

And for speed comparison, I'm thinking along the lines of Kenda small block eight or dred tred :)

For speed I have some conti twister supersonic. they are fast, faster than the nobby nics, probably faster than my wide commuting slicks (top-contact I think)..... just they don't turn corners on anything that's not similar to tarmac or hardpack. :LOL:

I would think most tyre are of similar 'ballon-ness' as if they are tall they'll need to sidewalls reinforced and higher pressures to keep the shape.
At 2.1" I don't know what any of them are like, but a 2.25" the Schwlbes are large volume in my opinion... specially compared to the retro-tyres.
though 'look' of the ballon has a lot to do with opinion rather than actual ballon size :?
somebody going to stop my child nattering in my ear please ! grrrrr.

For 'fast' I was thinking more the Rocket Rons, than Racing Ralph though.

In my experience it is the Conti Race King tire that notably has a high but not so wide shape. Definitely of the "fast and sketchy in the wet" variety though.

The 2.2 is high volume and can be used at very low pressures. This is not just comfy, but also unlocks more grip from the low profile tread. And especially the black chili compound version then holds on as a rear tire in moderate terrain. A lot depends on where you're riding and if you can live with the downside. It is definitely a different type of grip compared to ful-on trail treads.

Enjoy!!

IMHO, the 2.1 Rocket Rons are pretty large volume-wise.
I also have the 2.25 Rons and was a bit dissappointed that the 2.1 were so large.

WTB Velociraptors, quite tall but not too wide. Plenty of grip and quite retro in style. (My second favourite tires after Dart and Smoke).
I'm still using both on my hard-tails apart from in really filthy conditions.

Good shout on the velociraptors, I've got a pair of smoke and darts sitting in my shed funny enough, great all round tyre, but need modern rubber to take advantage of my tubeless rims, schwalbe is looking like a contender, also like the look of Kenda ust's also.

Gone off conti's now, as I gashed a tubed front speedking in 2 places at afan this weekend.

Cheers for all the input to everyone whose replied so far!

Back