help with tyre choices please!

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I need some tyres for my retro/modern parkpre, but my MTB tyre knowledge is limited to a 1993 panaracer dart on the front, and a slightly later tioga somethign or oter on the rear... I want some modern tyres this time, but there seem to be far too many choices! I'd like to get them at my LBS (who isn't any more expensive than getting them online), and he stocks mainly maxxis and geax so I'll probably go with something from either of them. Most of my riding here will be on dry hardpacked trails, probably with some some loose gravel thrown in at some point. no grass, little wet riding (puddles or the odd stream crossing only), and no big rock type stuff.

I need standard 26" tyres, minimum 2.0" wide, and not too expensive!

So based on that, does anyone have any recommendations? advice? things to avoid?

thanks!

I use the DH single ply High Rollers all year round and really get on with them. I use a super tacky on the front for grip and a 60a on the back. Weight wise they're not too bad at 850g.

A 60a front and rear should roll pretty well and still work when it gets a bit gloopy.

I keep thinking about getting some Conti Rubber Queens in the black chilli compound because a lot of people rave about them but they're bloody expensive and my High Rollers do the trick.

I've had another look at what's on offer at my LBS today, and he recommended GEAX - AKA for the front, SAGUARO for the rear. For the rigid ones, the pair comes out at 38 euros so not too bad I reckon.

Now, should I be going for the 2.0 or 2.2 width?

Mindmap3":1ivkfm2k said:
Weight wise they're not too bad at 850g.

For both that pretty good. For one, that's damn heavy.

They now make Smoke and Dart again (check panaracers website) and your Tioga Psycho's are available with a similar pattern by some other company.

I would be looking lightweight short nobbled tyres 2.1" to 2.3" size.
I know nothing of geax or maxxis though so cannot help, if you look elsewhere then Schwlabes website will help you through their tyres.
Look under All Mountain and the X-Country series as well as MTB (you'll see the list on the side and understand)
Rons and Nics are the ones I know, probably the Rons but not sure what loose gravel is like.. maybe ralphs..
The rest they'll be excellent at.

Conti's are probably similar if the tread looks similar.

The Scwalbe are much lighter than the Geax from what I can see on on-one.co.uk

Who knows as you say there are too many to pick from now :LOL:
Check out some reviews on say CRC or Wiggle or singletrack, mtbr

Of course price will determine what you can buy, what are max. price are you looking at.

My budget is 40 euros for both, so the geax fit within that. It's not like I'm racing or even riding every weekend (or even every month :shock: :oops: ), so I can't justify spending more than that... even so, I think it's highly likely that any new tyres at that price will be no worse, and probably a lot better, than the ones I have!

I know I could probably get other makes online, but to be honest I like to support my LBS, and while he can't get the more retro parts I need/want, I can get the more modern parts from him. He does loads of little jobs for me like removing stuck BBs and headsets that I can't get out myself (for free!), selling me spokes almost at cost then only charging 6 euros a wheel to true them after I've built them, etc etc That's why I've been looking at geax and maxxis as those are the ones he generally stocks (although he can get most others anyway).

I'm still undecided on the width though - the ones I have are 2.1, I think, but the geax are available in either 2.0 or 2.2. They'll be going on my parkpre, so a rigid ti frame with 80mm RS reba. I think I'll go with the 2.2, unless anyone can convince me otherwise!

thanks, Andy

foz":py6qbzeg said:
My budget is 40 euros for both, so the geax fit within that. It's not like I'm racing or even riding every weekend (or even every month :shock: :oops: ), so I can't justify spending more than that... even so, I think it's highly likely that any new tyres at that price will be no worse, and probably a lot better, than the ones I have!

I know I could probably get other makes online, but to be honest I like to support my LBS, and while he can't get the more retro parts I need/want, I can get the more modern parts from him. He does loads of little jobs for me like removing stuck BBs and headsets that I can't get out myself (for free!), selling me spokes almost at cost then only charging 6 euros a wheel to true them after I've built them, etc etc That's why I've been looking at geax and maxxis as those are the ones he generally stocks (although he can get most others anyway).

I'm still undecided on the width though - the ones I have are 2.1, I think, but the geax are available in either 2.0 or 2.2. They'll be going on my parkpre, so a rigid ti frame with 80mm RS reba. I think I'll go with the 2.2, unless anyone can convince me otherwise!

thanks, Andy

Go wide, if they fit in the frame.
No mud to worry about so easy choice.

FluffyChicken":1xbf9ina said:
Mindmap3":1xbf9ina said:
Weight wise they're not too bad at 850g.

For both that pretty good. For one, that's damn heavy.

I don't think that's too bad for a 2.35 tyre that grips and doesn't puncture at the first sign of a rock!

The 2.2 Rubber Queens are about 660g...which I though was super light!

But then again, I'm comparing the weights to dual ply DH tyres that are over 1,000g each!

Back