Gavr's Oops! What was I thinking? Thread. Finished...

Tel":39dxo3cg said:
gavr":39dxo3cg said:
Tel":39dxo3cg said:
Another week minimum I think :( I've got a couple of other treats on order though

Ok we're waiting for the forks but when are you going to fit the other parts!? I guess we'll have to wait for the forks to see the Chris King headset fitted though....

No, I can't go too mad on headset and BB, blown the budget in style already but at least the tools will stay with me. I've got an old steel Record headset that will do really nicely. I'm planning on some Paul Components to finish the job, MotoLite V Brakes with enough adjustment for 406 or 451 wheels, Love lever, Tall and Handsome seat post with good set back. Fork is critical now...

Chain line to sort next, fit bottom bracket and then cranks. I should be able to play around with rear line with SA sprockets washers etc.

Still haven't decided on bars - you're quite right about lack of reach.

A glimpse into the future...

Paul seatpost fully extended. There's not great choice of seatposts in 28.6mm. USE does a good range of seatpost shims this one is 27.2mm and a perfect fit. The clamp is a Thompson 31.6 mm and saddle is SDG Bel-Air, which is a good comfy choice at a decent price.

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 874
You'll see from the picture that I still don't have any forks :x

However bottom bracket, chainset, black BMX racing chain now in place and coaster brake attached firmly to frame. The BB is a shimano UN55 107 mm, and chainline is pretty good with the dished rear sprocket on the inside line. No worries about the bottom bracket shell threads it tightened up really nicely. That's 50 - 19 gearing for now so just some dust caps to find for my 'Raleigh 10' (that's half a twenty) :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 802
In the absence of a fork I thought I'd lash something up to help take the build a bit further.

I've propped up the front on a 700C fork to take the front wheel so the front is a bit high. The Nitto technomic stem and new Nitto bullhorns for a good bit of reach and a nod to the 'singlespeed' feel of the bike. I think the setback seatpost and extended front are going to work nicely. I don't like these bikes with traditional drop bars. Any thoughts on the look, tan bar tape to match the saddle? Mudguards? Saddlebag? Quill pedals and tradition clips and straps or spd?

Attachments

• IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 759
Looking good, even if a little odd with those make shift forks, I had a quick fright that those were the forks you had been waiting for! Phew!!!

When I was preparing to move I found one last pair of SS dust caps http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210396 Interested?

What brakes and levers you going for? I think that I'd have to go for tan tape to match the saddle. A Carradice tool roll perhaps, thikn mudguards would be nice to fill some of the void. SPD's to keep the modern theme going.

Looking rad to the poser of sick! Or summit like that ;)

I have a pair of these SPD one side /Flat the other, dual purpose pedals that might do the job nicely...

Attachments

• Shimano.jpg
    Shimano.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 717
Back