Assistance Please ...

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I have posted a few questions regarding my bike very recently. I am interested to know if it would be worthwhile detailing my every move and thoughts so that everyone who reads it is helped by it. I believe it may be called a blog (daily blog). I am not sure it would be worthwhile for everyone but it might be. Mods please advise. I am actually willing to post this in some strange place - if only just to help one person.

If anyone thinks it would be of assistance please contact me; i do not think this part of the forum is appropriate but i can post wherever.

i could keep adding to my previous posts - Mods please advise.

Thanks to all (so far)

p.s. apologies if this does not make sense, but i want to do what i want to do and maybe help someone on the way

p.p.s. i should add that if you have not read my previous posts - i am a 44 yr old male who is overweight (slightly) and smokes - i want to address these problems and lose weight and get fit (ish) - if i was a fit person the whole strand would not make sense!

Any, and I mean, ANY, assistance is greatly appreciately

Hi TGR

I also have a Raleigh Rapide. A different model and year to yours though.

A couple of things i would suggest.

There is no point having a bike that is 100% original and or perfectly matched if it is uncomfortable because you will simply wont want to ride it.

i have just swapped out the brake levers, bars, stem and seatpost on mine for much more modern, some new, items.

The originals looked good and were authentic, but personally i found it uncomfortable to ride. the bars weren't an ergo shape, the levers were very narrow making it highly uncomfortable to ride on the hoods and im very tall do bought a 130mm stem and a longer seatpost.

What i would suggest is build it up and ride it as a rolling restoration, finding out what is comfortable and works well together.

you might end up spending a fortune on vintage bits to find you just dont get on with it..

I have a thread on my bike somewhere. i can dig it out and link you if you want... ?

Niall

I'm not a mod but use the forum plenty enough. Basically your blog is right here. Open a thread and just keep adding to it people will read your progress and pipe in with (un)helpfull advice when you need it.

I've only ever done it once really http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ty+special but plenty of others have done the same and I'm sure that kind of input is welcome.

HTH

Hi Niall,

I am interested to know that the Rapide was available for a period of time. I would be interested to see yours. When i was racing i replaced my brakes, rear mech and seat post to Shimino 600ax. I aldo changed the seat to a Concor Profil. I have all the original bits except the seat - which i hope will turn up in the attic.

Today, i found the Raleigh Bicycle Guide - Lightweight Sports for my bike and the receipt. The bike was bought on 19/12/83 for £176.97 this included £5.97 for lights and £1 for a lock. Unfortunately, the Comprehensive Guarantee expired after 15 years!!!

Tel,

Thanks for the advice. I see that you did some great work in a very short space of time. I expect that mine will be much longer as i would like to cover every stage of 'getting back on 2 wheels'. I just wonder if the post gets too long and i need some advice, will it et missed? On would it be best to post separate posts with queries and then add them to the long one?

Any further advice will be appreciated.

Slomax, the bike looks great. I am still trying to exactly work out my plan. I did want to use 600ax pedals abd cranks but i hit a problem with shoes - and my old ones are old. I think i want mine period but with better parts - 600ax.

I have owned my bike from new and never found it too uncomfortable, i would actually say that the original seat was more comfortable than the Selle San Marco Concor Profil which i fitted to it. As with almost everything, it is a personal preference. I am 6 feet tall with a long reach.

A couple (or four) of questions for everyone -

if i use Autosol and the alloy bits polish up, should i coat them with something else once they are shiny? I have posted about this before but i was thinking lacquer now i am thinking a wax or polish. Any advice is appreciated.

will Autosol work on rusted chrome bits?

I have Alfredo Binda straps and they have seen better days although they still work. These were not original as the original ones broke through normal wear. Is there any point trying to restore these ones or should i just buy a new pair?

Any tips on removal of touch-up paint without damaging the original paintwork. The touch-up (which was original Raleigh Oyster) paint has yellowed and i think the scrapes are better than the yellow stains.

Lastly, can i do any damage when i am cleaning - overuse of Auotsol? Any places where i should be careful?

Thanks to all

TGR":1sf39iep said:
Tel,

Thanks for the advice. I see that you did some great work in a very short space of time. I expect that mine will be much longer as i would like to cover every stage of 'getting back on 2 wheels'. I just wonder if the post gets too long and i need some advice, will it et missed? On would it be best to post separate posts with queries and then add them to the long one?

Any further advice will be appreciated.

Started this thread back in Dec 11 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mega+steel ! Still not complete but next time I do some work to it I'll update the thread. Same as this one (even older and still in bits!): http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mega+steel

Put any problems you're having in your thread and if you feel you need further advice about any particular thing then start a new thread to address it then return to the original.

A couple (or four) of questions for everyone -

if i use Autosol and the alloy bits polish up, should i coat them with something else once they are shiny? I have posted about this before but i was thinking lacquer now i am thinking a wax or polish. Any advice is appreciated.

Once polished it will stay that way for a long while, just buff it up now and again with the autosol and it'll be shiney forever...

will Autosol work on rusted chrome bits?

Depends how far rusted they are. Generally I use a very fine wire wool to remove rust but if the chrome has gone altogether the part will have to be replaced.

I have Alfredo Binda straps and they have seen better days although they still work. These were not original as the original ones broke through normal wear. Is there any point trying to restore these ones or should i just buy a new pair?

What exactly is wrong with them? Rusty buckles? May aswell replace them.

Any tips on removal of touch-up paint without damaging the original paintwork. The touch-up (which was original Raleigh Oyster) paint has yellowed and i think the scrapes are better than the yellow stains.

Paintwork is not really an area of expertise but I'd suggest using a mild abrasive (that tube of autosol will be great) and rub the effected areas carefully trying to keep your focus on the touch up paint. Be worth starting a new thread for more advice on this though ;)

Lastly, can i do any damage when i am cleaning - overuse of Auotsol? Any places where i should be careful?

I don't think there is any chance of over polishing! Nothing springs to mind just use mild abrasives and not heavy wire brushes!

Tel, thanks again for your advice. The strap buckles are rusty and the leather is showing signs of wear so i will probably do as you advise.

The paintwork is still annoying me - i actaully tried the Autosol on a bit but it did not seem to affect it. The more i look at the bike, the more i see needs done but i am very particular (just ask the wife!).

I was thinking of doing it all in Shimano 600ax but now i am pondering getting it back to completely original - i have all the orginal paperwork etc. and the few things i cannot replace would not be noticed.

I could always use the 600ax stuff i have on another bike (i like to think big - or run before i can walk!)

Perhaps i ponder too much.....

Thanks again (pondering over a beer tonight)

Ha! Decisions eh! If you read back on your other thread I suggested a full restoration project.....especially if the bike has sentimental value.

A full respray and graphics should only set you back about £150'ish and you have all the parts.

Back