Orange P7 1996ish

Hmmm, £300 does seem cheap, maybe I am just fooling myself into thinking it was that cheap. The frame refinished with decals was £100, groupset all in was about £100, wheels built from scratch were about £70 :shock: , say £100 for the finishing kit, and err some money for cable tubes, tyres etc... and errr, well :roll: I make that about .. oh bugger, how much did I spend? :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

Seems you use the same kind of fiscal gymnastics to justify your spending as me.

In my laws of economics; cables, grips bb's and 'stuff' don't count. And if I've used something that I've had for any length of time- that's free. ("any length of time" can vary dramatically depending on the "desperation to justify" factor!)

Makes stuff far better value for money, when it comes to defending my spending to SWMBO. :D

£££

Its hard to say what mine cost, most of the parts I already had. I only spend maybe £25 on decals (for the bike and some new ones for the forks) and a paltry £15 on the powder coat job. The same place did my ev02 in orange too, they are ace. I had to spend some money on parts because everything else I own is 1 1/8" and this has a 1" headtube: the headset was £70 or so and Pace pulled my pants down over the steerer (£25?). The front mech came from eBay and cost £40 or so.

I think, as long as you have most of the parts it needn't be expensive. You can always upgrade stop and go bits as and when they wear out. Dedicated bike frame places look like they give perfect results but seem dear. If you can strip the paint yourself you are half way there. You need to find yourself a decent powder coater but I have used two in the past and they've both been really good and cost peanuts.

I have very, very high hopes for my next bike. I have an Orange Prestige that was rescued from a shed for £40. It already has a brilliant wet paint job in silver/purple fade but its well tatty. I found a powdercoater that will do a candy finish in one or more colours for hardly any money - I was thinking of doing it in lime and emerald green, and I have some original purple decals from Orange. I just can't seem to get past the existing paint job and making the bike look very unoriginal.

cherry bomb":4xf4i5ha said:
In my laws of economics; cables, grips bb's and 'stuff' don't count. And if I've used something that I've had for any length of time- that's free. ("any length of time" can vary dramatically depending on the "desperation to justify" factor!)

I also discount presents from my girlfirend from the overall cost.. Got my XT cantis as an xmas present.. :D

I miss my P7 now....

Aww your P7 is mint..

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

I worked at CycleSurgery in spitalfields, London in the summer of 1996, commuting from Worthing (?!) in order to afford my beloved P7 which I built from scratch. I'd only finished it about 2 weeks and some twunt stole it the day before I was due to take it on holiday... :evil:

ORANGE P7

Hi there, just finished rebuilding a 95 P7 myself and noticed your :D s in retrobike, its a monster! think i can help you out on the exact age of the frame as i phoned the orange factory in halifax and was told that as my frame number starts off - A509----- the 5 means 1995 and the 09 is the month i.e SEPTEMBER, so i now know my frame was made in sept' 1995. hope this helps you out mate! GAZ.

Re: ORANGE P7

geetee61":7mno7okg said:
Hi there, just finished rebuilding a 95 P7 myself and noticed your :D s in retrobike, its a monster! think i can help you out on the exact age of the frame as i phoned the orange factory in halifax and was told that as my frame number starts off - A509----- the 5 means 1995 and the 09 is the month i.e SEPTEMBER, so i now know my frame was made in sept' 1995. hope this helps you out mate! GAZ.

Cheers GAZ, mine is A603 so March 1996.. you can't get more exact then that! :D

When I asked Orange the guy I spoke to didn't have a clue.. :shock:

Back