Lance Armstrong

retrocomeback":e0l50ao6 said:
Skimming through USADA's report; this thing has more holes in it than a pin cushion. I'm struggling to find anything that would be admissible in a court of law.

Such a shame certain individuals here are resorting to personal insults rather than sticking to the topic at hand :roll:

I do wonder, if that is the case, why LA didn't take it to arbitration where his team of lawyers could have had a legitimate chance to tear it apart?

How much more do you need before you accept what the french meant when they said "He is from a different planet."?

I'm no expert on US law, but I guess like many sporting authorities the burden of proof is much lower with 'on the balance of probabilities' rather than our law courts standard of 'beyond all reasonable doubt'. With the lesser standard applied its easy to see why it's not worth fighting the word of a dozen co-accused because the balance argument is in effect already won!

For me, one of the most damning pieces of evidence is the exchange of emails with Ferrari's son. When Lance was claiming to have no contact whatsoever with the doping doctor. He has lied under oath about this, so his word on everything else in the case is doubtful at best.

I did study somewhat on the US legal system, but I don't think it is particularly relevant as this is not a 'case' going to a general court.

Just like the recent FA investigation into Terry, the state legal system does not over rule the sport's own regulatory system. They are entirely separate.

I really do feel sorry for the guy.

Not that he is a man after my own heart, but we have both dated Sheryl Crow.

Kerplunk":2n21lgfc said:
sylus":2n21lgfc said:
There was no reason for the delay no matter what the usda claim

There's one very obvious reason. It gave those that testified against Armstrong the chance to get to the end of the season and retire before their suspensions began. Those that aren't retiring get to sit out their suspension during the close season and don't miss much of teh main european based season next year. Six months suspension for the amount of doping they did is pitiful even if they have done a deal to spill teh beans on Armstrong.

For what it is worth, I agree that this is too much of a coincidence. George Hincapie was a loyal domestique to Lance for years and from what I have read, a friend too. It does appear to be slightly odd that he chooses to pass on this information now, when he has just retired.

It appears that this sport has always been full of such scandal and I am sure that there are a lot more people than Lance Armstrong that need to be brought to rights......There was Vinokourov who was in yellow for the 2007 tour....then Contador stripped of his win in 2010 for apparent contaminated beef - and many others that have tested positive within the years.

For me, Lance Armstrong has always been a hero. If all this is true and UCI strip him of his wins....to me it is a sad day. I do not condone cheating and the level of deceit appears to be too high to be excused.

Based on lies or not though, no-one can take away the fantastic work he has done for cancer survivors and their families.

As for arrogance......unfortunately a huge proportion of the world suffer from the same condition!

Just my opinion, because we all have one and that is all they are, at the end of the day!

Just slightly off track

if everyone at the top is accepted to have been on drugs or and performance enhancing techniques..then surely they would have all been on a level playing field and on that field lance was still the best cyclist there?

Tazio":gwz58qr3 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19917856

And I read somewhere on this thread about people in general being given shorter sentences for handing over information and we all know this happens, but six month sentences in comparison to a lifetime ban is quite different.

At the end of the day if they want to change things, to improve them and show that it won't be tolerated, then surely they need to be consistent in their punishment techniques!

Back