Recommend my some walking shoes/trainers

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I got walking boots...but for fast long walks i like things like Merrels....but Merrels seem to wear out a lot quicker than they used to, a couple of them have slightly harder souls......but i need long wearing souls.....last lot wore out in 3 months....not value for money i say...........guess i need a hiking soul on a light shoe/trainer

Most of the time I'll walk with a pair of £30-40 Adidas/Nike/Puma running shoes. As long as you pick proper running shoes rather than their basket or tennis counterparts, you'll be fine for a while.

During the winter I switch to Caterpillar boots. Been wearing the same ones for 6 winters now, and they are holding up just fine.

Think i might be better off with 2 pairs of something light than i pair that's gonna wear out.........i used to sell merrels years ago and use them, they never used to wear this quick !

Something with a vibram sole (though they do come in soft and hard compounds)

try some Meindl's - very stout and hard wearing and a massive range (my Mtn Crack pros have had several hard winters use on mountain and farting about in poor weather)

berghaus walking boots, they cost more but last lot longer. Look out for sales on goretex range, i bought a pair 4 years ago still going strong and still totally waterproof

For general light use I wear Meindl, a pair of leather lightweights for driving and some proper Gore walking shoes for rougher leisure work.

Around the farm it is wellies or steel toe caps, tackety boots with gaitors in the hills.

I try to keep the soles as light and flexi as possible, that one step onto a loose piece of rock or whatever is much easier to feel before it gets real.

How are your boots wearing?

Agree with the Meindl recommendations.
I've used these Merrells for years, and apart from the vibram sole falling off and having to be glued back on they've been great, nice leather lining too. They've got a bit of a '50's football boot look about them though, which I quite like! http://www.merrell.com/ZA/en-ZA/Product ... -Traveller

Don't be tempted to go for the bargaintastic Karrimor jobs on offer at Field and Trek/Sports Direct - they might look a good deal @£20 or so down from £50ish but the soles are crap, really thin and slippy. ...Whatever happened to Karrimor?

ferrus":1oonr3yh said:
Whatever happened to Karrimor?

they went downhill in about 2004

te previous year they disastrously bought some outdoor shops (YHA Adventureshops) and knew naff all about retail. Bad management (i.e. trying to do everything) saw the name sold. Quality and the designs are not a patch on the stuf from 15 years ago.

Damn shame that. A similar descent seems to have happened to Berghaus over the years and Brasher aren't what they used to be either - boots were made in Portugal up to a couple of years ago, but now they're Chinese and the enevitable drop in quality has happened.

Back