Fitting rear disc brake mounts to singlespeed frame

Slimtim

Retro Guru
Hello

I have an Orange Dekerf singlespeed frame. It has rear-facing horizontal rear dropouts and currently runs v brakes.

I love this frame but would like to adapt it so that it can take disc brakes as I ride it mostly in the wintery mud etc.

The rear dropout is shrouded so I can't use an A2Z rear converter.

Can anyone suggest another format of adapter?

Alternatively, does anyone have any experience of having a disc brake welded onto a steel singlespeed frame with rear facing horizontal dropouts.

I have a small pot of Dekerf paint so could cover some expert welding.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Tim

There was an article in what mountain bike or mbuk within the last 12 months and Steve Worland had a disc tab added to an old dekerf. Magazine didn't name check where they got it done but pretty confident it was at Argos. Not cheap but they seem to do a good job.

cyfa2809":1gzb4uem said:
Wouldnt the mount need to move in relation to the axle also?

I'd imagine you'd need to use a tugnut or some such thing to maintain the axle line relative to the caliper.

I had an Atomlab frame with horizontal rear, the disc mounts were more like slots allowing the caliper to be moved in relation to where abouts the wheel was on the dropout.

That Atomlab disc adapter looks very suitable.

I just had a look at the Atomlab online store and it looks very amateur - does anyone know who distributes for them in the UK?

Hi Tim,
Slotted disc mounts that allow the caliper to follow the axle are available. However, if you know your ratio, and aren't prone to changing it every now and then, you only need to have an ordinary mount fitted to suit your usual axle position. Any taking up of chain tension is only going to move the axle a couple of mm, so the caliper doesn't really need to move.

Another option might be to use a Hope C2 brake and hub, or a brake therapy adapter. THe brake therapy can use any hub.
I used a C2 on my first Solitaire to good effect.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =solitaire

Back