Lance Armstrong

I'm not keen on a witch hunt approach but Armstrong is guilty and its the only way they could prove it. Its more depressing that every professional cyclist must have known but felt powerless to do anything about it without thinking their career would be probably gone if they did.

Personally I think the best way to deal with it know is an amnesty of sorts where a line is drawn in the sand and no further prosecutions are chased and everyone involved is given the change to admit what they did and how they did it. Then maybe the UCI, drug testing agencies and riders can learn from the mistakes made and move on.

retrocomeback":1e2yw1mw said:
gerryattrick":1e2yw1mw said:
I hear that jimmy Saville was a decent cyclist and marathon runner who raised millions for charity.

That's all that matters really.

We're all entitled to our opinion of course, but I can't see the relevance of a comparison to a suspected paedophile?

Both broke the rules, I was going to put something similar but thought better of it, however, they both are alleged to have broken the law, but both raised millions for charity. One is slated, quite rightly, but the other is still "a legend". I don't get it, but I don't get my Michael Jackson the peado is still revered

retrocomeback":1zzw5je0 said:
gerryattrick":1zzw5je0 said:
I hear that jimmy Saville was a decent cyclist and marathon runner who raised millions for charity.

That's all that matters really.

We're all entitled to our opinion of course, but I can't see the relevance of a comparison to a suspected paedophile?

I thought the relevance was obvious. The only difference is the seriousness of the accusations. Armstrong's are nowhere near the seriousness of Saville's.

retrocomeback":1ykiar83 said:
For what it's worth heres my take on Armstrong. The guy survived brain and bollock surgery to rid him of cancer, and whether the bike races he subsequently won were as a result of doping I don't care one iota, the guy beat cancer himself and has raised millions to help others do the same. That's what's really important here.

As a cancer survivor I have a lot of sympathy.

If he hadn't been so arrogant he could have done a tearful press conference about the pressure and his hunger to prove that cancer survivors can achieve anything and then fess up. A pity he didn't perhaps. :?

Surviving cancer doesn't make you a nice person, it makes you a cancer survivor.

Just watched the 6 o'clock news, Alex Dowsett (Team Sky) should be ashamed of himself.

He said and I quote.... ''I don't think it really matters, he's still a legend in the sport'' ''The guy came back from cancer to win the Tour de France'' ''So I think It's not really Important''

What a w*nker you are Alex!!

al.

Theres a whole world of difference between an alleged doper facing nothing more than sporting sanctions solely on the basis of co accused testimony, and an alleged paedophile who is only beyond the reaches of a criminal court owing to his death.

If the allegations are indeed true then I'll be amongst the first to condemn Armstrongs actions in achieving his various cycling credentials, but to me his personal battle with cancer and his efforts to help others to fight it remains unblemished. Heck, if his alleged doping allowed him to raise his profile enough that his subsequent fund raising gave a terminal cancer sufferer just one more day with their family, it was bloody well worth it.

Drug smuggling, and pushing it on to others, as well as supplying them are all crimes. In this country, and everywhere else they are alleged to have happened.

retrocomeback":6vvi6i5a said:
Theres a whole world of difference between an alleged doper facing nothing more than sporting sanctions solely on the basis of co accused testimony, and an alleged paedophile who is only beyond the reaches of a criminal court owing to his death.

If the allegations are indeed true then I'll be amongst the first to condemn Armstrongs actions in achieving his various cycling credentials, but to me his personal battle with cancer and his efforts to help others to fight it remains unblemished. Heck, if his alleged doping allowed him to raise his profile enough that his subsequent fund raising gave a terminal cancer sufferer just one more day with their family, it was bloody well worth it.

So Saville was right to abuse children, because he gave them money to make them all well again.

al.

as usual some take a bike discussion into pedo playgrounds :roll: you have to wonder why that subject is the first thing they think of

Even ardent supporters of Lance realise something is not as it should be

However the issue is not so much lance's wrong doing but the usda's bullying attempt to subvert the rules to then punish others who they claim subverted the rules, so allowing the very thing they claim to be trying to stop

Knowing someone is a drug proven professional cyclist (which lance never was) act against Lance whilst still allowing that individual to carry on professional racing would see a contradiction of the usda's venom towards Lance.

Lance was never caught cheating(if he ever did) so legally you must declare scientifically..and that is the standard the usda are charged to do..scientifically had never been 100% proven to be a cheat..the dna if you will in other cases

As to arrogance..I have yet to meet someone who is at the top of their field who isn't.

Did Lance use drugs or the ability to enhance his performance..given how many are saying ..hell yeah we all did it, then it would not be unreasonable to suggest he did but again not proof

have colleagues indicated he did? yes..of which some of those who have been 100% identified as drug cheats , are still allowed to professionally race and have seen a reduced ban/sentence

So was there an incentive for the usda to lower the consequences for those proven cheats and allow proven drug cheats to still race? of course..to get to Lance

The irony is...in order for the usda to get at Lance they have exposed themselves as a management team in dissaray, a team of scientific testers who could not catch one suspected individual and as such may have done more harm to their own reputation than Lance ever could do

Back