Looking for a new car - any advice.

I've spotted a couple of nice ex-police v70's and its a definite consideration as I know the serving is done more than a normal car..

my v70 2.5 is ace ...its been my car i always wanted.3rd gear is outstanding.id been cruising at 65 the other day for nearly an hour before i noticed i was still in 4rth..sounds lovely when ya turn it on...and goes like stink.i like audis but i think the rep they are getting now means the insurance in the coming years is going to get worse. its now near 170 000 and it still runs like new.....

1210tech":j40b9mv2 said:
brocklanders023":j40b9mv2 said:
Wouldn't get an older Audi as everyone I know that's got one has had big problems with even bigger bills. They seem to turn to mince after 7 years or 80000 miles.

not at all, my A4 had done 220'000 miles before it became too expensive to bother with, the camshafts wore out and I couldn't be bothered to spend the money on replacing them, £600-1000 just for parts. as long as you carry out regular servicing and don't skimp on things like belt changes they will go on for a very long time.

There's always good and bad I guess.

My comments were based on these examples:

1- 53 Reg A3 100K-ish. Loads of electrical problems, each costing hundreds to fix. MOT bills over £500 for the last 3 years. Car is not used much.

2- 54 Reg A3 120K. Alternator went leaving driver stranded, £600+ bill. Turbo went, stranded again with £500+ bill. Other little probems in to the 100's with all work done at mates rates.

3- 07 Reg A4 with average miles. Engine blew up costing thousands.

4- 06 Reg A4 100K. Loads of little problems with parts costing a lot. Lad at work does the work and is always over the pit.

All these examples are friends or work mates cars and are treated well with proper servicing. Wouldn't have one given now.

GT-Steve":1o12zlx9 said:
Bullpup":1o12zlx9 said:
How about a Subaru Forester?

Had a look at one, but not really all that keen. :oops:

Fair enough - they look a little dowdy but don't forget they have impreza running gear and a £500 remap gives you 280 bhp +...

Bullpup":q4k5ekzp said:
GT-Steve":q4k5ekzp said:
Bullpup":q4k5ekzp said:
How about a Subaru Forester?

Had a look at one, but not really all that keen. :oops:

Fair enough - they look a little dowdy but don't forget they have impreza running gear and a £500 remap gives you 280 bhp +...

sorry to hijack but I am too looking at the Forester next year maybe. I'll see how the Merc holds up.

I prefer this shape - it matches my often miniscule budget:

98_subaru_forester2.jpg

Back