650b/27.5 Anyone running these on a 26" frame?

There's a lot of good information here http://650bpalace.blogspot.co.uk/

Just Riding Along bike shop near Sheffield have quite a a bit 650b stock.

I have been running the Velocity-made Pacenti P35 650b rims on my Spooky for a while and I really like the wheel size. I don't know whether it's kiddology but somehow they do feel just right.

Rich

I used to run the largest tyres possible when I was dispatching, I guess the bigger rims will let me run lighter tyres still getting the diameter benefit, not that it is a HUGE difference, like 26 to 29.

There are a number of good sites with lots of good information, but I am guessing this will be a mainstream topic within a year.

:)

shedobits":4tarwoj0 said:
Bit OT I know but has anyone here built a 69er? I need to repair / replace the forks on my 456 so now seems a good time to try it. Hadn't thought about 650 though, any one done this?

I have( had) 2 on the go. My kona in the sig was a conversion but is now bust and I am awaiting a good steel frame for it. I also have a purpose built trek 69er ss.

The kona was a great xc/path bike but could be a bit trick in the technical stuff due to slight toe overlap, but that was only an issue if my feet weren't properly in the pedals. Go for it!

Me too tres gutted. It was my first attempt at 'building' a bike and I was pretty pleased with myself. ******* taunts me very time I turn on the laptop too as its still my background. :evil: :LOL:

I'm a tiny little shop in the middle of nowhere and even I'm starting to get the odd query about 650b.

It'll be everywhere in 2 years.

I've been quite pleased with my 650b conversion. The difference is subtle but noticeable. It raised my bottom bracket around half an inch but the extra height is actually a good thing for me. My favorite riding areas are full of rocks and roots so I can pay less attention to avoiding pedal strikes now. I think Cannondale's Beast of the East had around a 13" bottom bracket height and mine is around 12.5" sagged. I was due for new tires so I thought I would just spend a few extra $$$ and build up some 650b wheels.
Bike fit, set up, and your own bike handling skills are still #1 in my book. 650b just gives a slightly different feel that I like and I would definitely do it again. Here is an older pic in 26" mode and a new pic in 650b mode.

IMGP2154.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

What about 24" wheels and 5" tyres, no need for suspension, 1kg extra rotational weight and lose 4kg with a ti rigid build...

:xmas-cool:

Back