PC Laptop not connecting via ethernet

Is this something to do with pop3 and hhtp's?

If so the easy fix is to phone up your internet provider ..tell them what your issue is re connection and most will talk you through it and connect you

It's usually the other way around, pc's getting online no problem but Mac's failing, or is that just a macbook pro wireless problem

Is it a cable modem or a router? Have you ever had both working at the same time?

If it's a cable modem it's not capable of dishing out IP addresses via DHCP.
Via a modem the IP address given to your computer will be provided by the ISP. The ISP will have given the 1 IP address assigned to you to the Apple Mac as the cable modem just pass the MAC address of the apple to the ISP to get an IP address.

You plugging the PC into a cable modem will require a reboot of the modem and on the PC. The PC should then pick up the IP address from the ISP. Maybe needed on the PC:
start/run/cmd.exe
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
to get an IP from the ISP via the cable modem.

If it is a router you can forget all that.

Mac is using DHCP.

Never had the PC working. I only got this a couple of days ago. Tried rebooting the Cable Modem & the PC, but still no connection...

Not to worry guys! Massive Thanks for all the info though! I'll call up the ISP later. It was too late to call the ISP last night. Maybe I need to bring myself into the future & get a wireless router...

claret73":1ox9ijzr said:
Mac is using DHCP.

Never had the PC working. I only got this a couple of days ago. Tried rebooting the Cable Modem & the PC, but still no connection...

Not to worry guys! Massive Thanks for all the info though! I'll call up the ISP later. It was too late to call the ISP last night. Maybe I need to bring myself into the future & get a wireless router...

If your modem is supplied by your Internet provider they will 'probably' upgrade you to a wireless modem/router for free.

Otherwise check with your work, they should know if it is cable of connecting to random networks via ethernet.

Back