giant cycle lane

I'd say most of the cycle lanes are pointless, and a waste of councils time and money. Most are half arsed attempts to meet targets, without any thought to if they are worthwhile.

Painting a line barely wide enough for handlebars at the side of the street is not a cycle lane, especially as most cars see it as a parking bay. Cars think they don't then have to give you any room, and it gives a false sense of security to the average cyclist. This is without mentioning that they normally end just before the most dangerous section of road leaving the cyclist to fend for themselves. Personally I ride outside them on the road, as on the highway code it suggests riding a meter from the curb, which puts you about 20 cm outside the "cycle" lane anyway.

If they are going to implement cycle lanes, make them completely separate from the road, and ideally from pedestrians too, as they do in most of Europe. Otherwise don't bother, it's a waste of paint, time and money.

Sorry, rant over

That said, I was impressed mostly with Route 27, the Devon Coast to Coast route.

Don't worry, all the oil will be gone in 50 years time and we'll have the roads to ourselves. :D

I just wonder if I'll still be riding at 94. :?

Most of the cycle lanes are not built because they are needed but because the councils get money to build/create them and they then keep most of the money for other things.

They then create stupid isolated pieces of track to make it look like they have spent the money correctly

Back