Help identifying Raleigh bike

Pu6486

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I have recently acquired what I was told was an old Raleigh of unknown age and model. I intend to restore the frame to original colour and use as
As a fixie.

It's shown here with old Wheels off my cannondale.

21CBDC02-68F4-4870-8AAA-3701D95FDE08-1537-000001DB71D6968E.jpg

The number stamped below the seat tube is: NN4166894

I believe this is Oct '74??

Also the stay to bolt the rear brake on looks really odd:

B6AB5CA5-F705-4E86-8394-3BC6A7DA61B4-1537-000001DB7B1B6C35.jpg

FWIW the frame is very light - as light as my Thorn, which is 753.

Can anyone shed any light on age or model number please?

Many thanks,
Phill

phil , nn should mean Nottingham built so doubtfull if its Reynolds tubing and rear brake bridge looks nearer to 1984 to me .

Erm... Think you'll find it's a bargain basement gaspipe model.

As light as your 753 Thorn!? There is something wrong somewhere there.

Well it'll never be a classic, all I wanted was a sound frame for a fixie. Thanks for the replies fellas

Perfect for a fixie :)

Keeping the green and red? (Is that what you mean by original colours?)

Not sure about the green and red (its a rubbish powder coat, but will suffice for a while) id rather a metallic green (with gold Raleigh stencils). The wheels will be silver, along with the seatpost and bars. "honey" B17 saddle too.

The brake housing clips are missing from the top tube. Are these hard to source/replace?

WRT hubs, I like the look of Sturmey Archer HBT30s. Anyone had any experience with these? Also, the brakes need to be long reach ones (I'm going to use 700c rather than 27"). Tektro brakes seem reasonable.

Cheers,
Phill

I'd say it's a pre 80's Raleigh going on the fact that it's set up for 27" wheels and the fork with the curve at the ends. The size of the seat post will give away what steel the frame is. 25.4mm is gas pipe, 27 or 27.2mm is 531. Nothing wrong with gas pipe Raleighs, for the record, they all ride very nicely and are very stable - something a lot of people forget to account for!

Only my opinion, perfect bike for a fixie convo, but I think 700c wheels are going to look a bit skinny and lost. If I were to use a 700c rim, I'd go for a slightly wider one like an old 27" and use a 32mm tyre to pack out the gaps a bit.

No, there's not a hole in the chainstay. In the second photo theres a tapped hole on the left diagonal (between seatpost and chainstay) I've no idea what for.

Back