What parts to go on my beautiful frame set.

TomEdge

Dirt Disciple
Hello all, this is my first REAL post, i recently bought this frame from a member on here and am awaiting it's delivery (watching the post box intently).
frame_r_276.jpg
it's a Raleigh Gran Course, looks to be a LOVELY frame/fork set.

MY question to you FAR more knowledgeable chaps/chapess' is what parts do i spec out my new bike with? I believe it came as a frameset only according to this catalogue.

ral84_15.jpg

I have done a few single speed conversions for pub/commute bikes before so am more than capable spanner spinner. I just need your great wisdom on an idea vintage parts, as i think modern parts would be a shame, and it's all i know!

I have a few bits and bobs at home to put on it for the time being, mostly Weinmann stuff or unbranded but will do to get it on the road until i slowly collect all the parts i need.

Many thanks.

Great thank you, mine is an '84 and that thread is where i found the page i put up, so i'm looking at Campag and cinelli generally speaking. Will not be a cheap build, but This old frame deserves something nice! and i have other bikes so no rush to get it operational.

So i did some basic cleaning with a toothbrush, wire wool and fairy liquid.

Enough chat, pics.

aLYVkl.jpg

wewNCl.jpg

OrUyBl.jpg

HWxbvl.jpg

2cfSwl.jpg

gA3j9l.jpg

Jx5cGl.jpg

aLYVk,gA3j9,WMvLx,OrUyB,wewNC,2cfSw,HWxbv,ZBmob,Jx5cG

ZBmobl.jpg

Done all the nooks and crannies and dissambeled everything for cleaning. Both rakes work SOOOOO much better. Not perfect, but these parts aren't worth too many man hours, i'll wait 'til i get something special for the real graft.[/img]

Midlife":thjxc608 said:
How about the Shimano 7300/7400 AX early to mid 80's series ?

Shaun

I will certainly look into that, thanks, is it reasonably available, or like hens teeth? if i can, i wanna go all one brand, so either campag, shimano suntour etc, and stick with it as much as possible. I am not too worried about them being a matching groupset, but they all have to be compatible at the very least.

If mine comes out being half the bike that is, i will be chuffed. What a great bike! Are the cranks i have any good? they don't seem particularly light but they have cleaned up ok, i had a look on velo base, but a lot of the sakae stuff looks the same.

Shimano 600EX is reasonably easy to source and not ridiculous prices. Campagnolo is nice but generally very expensive, perhaps something like the lovely styled yet reasonably priced Victory group would be ideal.

Suntour is generally very hard to find, which is a shame because it's great stuff. I'd be looking at a Cyclone groupset for that.

I've not seen victory before, i will keep my eyes peeled on here, i have been sending some PMs on some 600ex.

Looking to buy as much in one go as possible, not sure if i need banded shifters or lug ones.... all will become clear when it arrives.

it will be built up into a single speed so i can start using it immediately, then i will be building it into something really special once i have got the bits together!

Latest posts

Back