Raleigh Criterium restoration & remodel

mAdam

Old School Hero
This was my first proper racer back in 1988/89. Santa delivered me a shiney new Raleigh Criterium and my younger Brother got a HiTen Raleigh Banana :D

criterium.jpg

After my first season racing as a schoolboy, and once my Dad knew i was serious about the sport, the Criterium became my winter trainer as i got to build up a new 531 racebike. Various parts were upgraded and added including mudguards and many a mile was racked up through all weathers. My Dad used the old Raleigh for leisure/fitness riding and it became affectionately know as 'Blue Bird'

I decided to give Blue Bird a good service, which turned into a total renovation job. The old girl had served my Dad and I well over all the years and she was looking a bit sorry for herself.

crit3.jpg

The bike was stripped completely and i decided to give it a complete respray and colour change to liven it up a bit. Whilst sanding the frame, i removed the mudguard eyes & pump peg just to let Blue Bird know that her days of slogging through wet and salty roads were over :D She had deserved this, so i thought i'd do it right and she could enjoy retirement.

crit4.jpg

I decided on the white/black scheme in a bid to keep things subtle and retro. The Criterium is made from Reynolds 501, not 531, but i had an old set of 531 decals lying around and decided just to use them.

crit2.jpg

Blue Bird or 'magpie' as i guess she will have to be called now :LOL: had a mixed selection of components gathered up and added over the years, so i tried to fit a complete Shimano 1055 groupset as best as i could. The only original parts to survive are the seatpost and the Weinmann brake calipers due to the longer reach and nut fitting.

crit1.jpg

I am really pleased with how the old girl turned out and glad to say that it rides very well indeed. It had been many years since i was last out on the road on it, and was pleasantly surprised, with how comfortable and smooth the bike is. The Criterium will be looked after now in retirement with no nasty winter rides ever again :D

Frame: Reynolds 501 Raleigh Criterium

Headset: Shimano
Stem: Cinelli 1A
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: white cork

Brake Levers: Shimano 1055
Brake Calipers: original Weinmann Carrera
Brake Pads: Modolo

Shifters: Shimano 1055
Front Derailleur: Shimano 1055
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 1055
Cassette: Sachs 13-21
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano 500EX
Chainrings: Shimano 52-39
Bottom Bracket: FAG sealed
Pedals: Time Equipe

Rims: Campagnolo Omega
Hubs: Campagnolo Chorus
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Tyres: Michelin
Tubes: Michelin
(photo shows Mavic Mach 2CD/Dura Ace wheelset)

Saddle: Turbo GEL
Seatpost: original SK Sakae

Oh that is nice, very elegant indeed. Tastefully done.

Thanks, tried to keep it simple, should have possibly kept it original, but thought, why not brighten it up a bit and although it holds good memories and has plenty of value to me, i don't think a Raleigh Criterium will go down in history as a classic! so i tried my best to improve it a bit.

Very cool bike indeed! Its amazing how long 80's raleighs last! I have 2 reynolds 80's raleighs

Do you find the shimano gears much better than the sachs hurret that was originally fitted?

In a word, yes! :D My Criterium was a later model which had 6 speed indexed Shimano fitted as standard. I have experience of the Sachs gears and Shimano Index was easily more precise. The 1055 i have now fitted is slightly more advance than the standard stuff and is 7 speed.

Of course this is someone else's bike and they can do what they like with it, but IMO it's not "right" to put a 531 sticker on a 501 frame.

Of course this is someone else's bike and they can do what they like with it, but IMO it's not "right" to put a 531 sticker on a 501 frame.

While i understand this to a point, i am not trying to pass this off as anything its not to anyone for their hard earned cash. Naturally the bike means a lot to me or else i would not have spent the time and money giving it a freshen up. I will never sell 'my first proper racer' as mentioned in my post, had i of had an old set of 501 decals sitting around, i would have used them. Just so happened they were 531 and i thought close enough, and thats another tenner saved. The second i resprayed the frame a different colour and added the 1055 it ceased to be a Raleigh Criterium anyway, so i have no problem with it not being in any way authentic. Sorry if anyone is offended by my criminal retro ways. :D

lovely job, the black forks look nice with the saddle & wheels. I had the same bike when I was about 15 and got cautioned for speeding on it (true story)! :D

Latest posts

Back