which clinchers does everyone ride?

I've got Conti GP4000S on the high-mileage road bike, and they're great. The Black Chilli compound is tackier than usual, while somehow more puncture-resistant than I'd expect, so they don't get very cut-up. Superb tyres.

Gaotr skins if I'm feeling skint, GP 4season if I have more cash to spend and GP4000s on my fast bike.

The GP4000s are my favourite as they roll well, the grip is fantastic and seem punture resistant enough.

riddim-track":1r42a2pk said:
The cycling weekly forum seem keen on Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp which are reasonably priced.

Tricomps are great tyres, currently have a pair on my Ribble and am very pleased with them - a good compromise between weight, speed and durability. They're quite peculiar amongst clinchers in that they'll take a max PSI of about 170psi, but even in an all-at-stake time trial I wouldn't dare run them at that kind of pressure!

Veloflex are also lovely fast, comfy tyres if a little more delicate. Not cheap though - the one pair I did have were only bought due to a very enticing special offer.

David

David B":1h2v4w4v said:
riddim-track":1h2v4w4v said:
The cycling weekly forum seem keen on Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp which are reasonably priced.

Tricomps are great tyres, currently have a pair on my Ribble and am very pleased with them - a good compromise between weight, speed and durability. They're quite peculiar amongst clinchers in that they'll take a max PSI of about 170psi, but even in an all-at-stake time trial I wouldn't dare run them at that kind of pressure!

Veloflex are also lovely fast, comfy tyres if a little more delicate. Not cheap though - the one pair I did have were only bought due to a very enticing special offer.

David

50% off at Ribble...
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... redtyrf250

tiermat":3olulmcw said:
For my money there is only one tyre worth using, and that is Schwalbe Ultremo ZX.

Trouble is, that normal price is ~£35 each, you can sometimes find them on offer.

They roll well are grippy and look nice, the other problem with them is though that the grip comes at a price, they don't actually last very long (I haven't worn a pair out yet, but then I have only done ~1000 miles on one pair.)

The Ultremo ZX are surprisingly good and comfortable for the money I paid to be honest. They roll well and they soak the vibrations well. But unlike the Continental GP4000S, it does not last as long.

I would suggest going for the GP4000S Gator Skin if you're into higher mileage and all weather riding.

I've had a couple of pairs of Michelin Pro 3's. Absolutely astounding grip, very light, great in the wet and seem to do quite a few miles - but they are absolute puncture magnets when they are new. The sticky tread seems to pick up sharp shards that get stuck in the surface and then work their way through it as you keep cycling over and over it. The whole surface of all of mine are covered in nicks and gashes, bad enough that people actually comment on them! I probably won't get another set as I can't rely on them when they are new, they are only reliable when they get a bit older and harden up, at which point they don't seem to pick up debris off the road.

Back