Can I run a 10 speed in an 80s steel frame?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
I was figuring change chain and jockey wheels with the wheel.

I'll try it and see, I hadn't considered the increased range of movement to the rear mech and lever.

In short it seems the only way to find out is experimentation.

Why do you need all those extra ratios ?

wouldn't it be easier just to get a cheap pair of 700c clinchers with a comparable block ?

I tool around here and change gear about 5 times, BITD I used a single speed (mind you that was more than 30 years ago)..

Shaun

I'd agree with Shaun.

I have just built up a late 1990's Raleigh with 10 speed, it's my first road bike in years and until I can develop significantly more power in my legs, then the three highest gears will remain unused.

There should be no issues running a newer wheel in an older frame. But, you may find the lowest cog fouls the rear stay which may put a stop to your idea.

Beyond that, a 6 spd slant parallelogram Shimano rear mech form the old 'SIS' type through to current should do the ten speed cassette without a problem. The 10spd chain may struggle on an older chainring simply because it is so narrow.

As for a 130mm wheel in a 126mm frame, you are moving each stay 2mm, hardly a problem when they flex just as much when removing /fitting wheels.

It will probably work as long as the chain matches the cassette. The mech jockeys will soon take the form of the chain. I bet the mech will go further both in and out.

I've somewhat done it. The new wheel with 10 spd cassette should fit with a little outward tug on the rear drops. A new chain will be in order to work with narrow spaces cassete cogs, you may also need to replace the derailleur. I'd bet the cable pull of your shift levers will work.

Back