99' Stumpjumper FSR XC project new pics added

I admire your enthusiasm, but I think somebody needs to tell you that your plan is unwise. If you wanted to keep the bike and ride it, then I would say that it was a great plan, as it's a decent frame and it will ride very well. However if you're going to sell it, you have to look at what older FS bikes sell for, which isn't very much. I can't see from your pictures whether it has rear disc tabs - if not, even worse, but even if it has disc tabs it's not going to sell for more than £200-300. And for every extra £100 you spend on shiny newish parts, you will add maybe £20-30 to the sale value. In the end, it's still a 1999 bike, even if the parts are all more recent upgrades.

I have a 1998 Marin East Peak which was £1,000 in its day and was rated at 5 stars, best on test and 'simply superb' in an MBR feature. It's in good condition, very original, quite nice to ride, paintwork excellent. I expect it will raise £150-200 on eBay.

I have realised this, thats why i plan to keep it,
my original plan was to sell it, but it grew on me quickly, so i'm happy to spend around £200 more on getting it roadworthy or even dirtworthy :LOL:
my total cost so far is £190 and i think thats a great price to pay for this so far.
i saw one like mine sell for £320, and it was a much lower spec and the shock was completely worn and dead, so even if i were to sell it i think i will get more than 300 but definately not more than i am willing to spend on it.

Oh good, I expect you'll like it. If you ever do sell it though, I would advise removing any bling parts, selling them separately or using them for another project, and replacing them with any non-bling stuff you happen to have.

I think the price for the other bike isn't that far out from what I would expect - it is a year newer than yours and it does have two big advantages in its Hayes disc brakes and its very good condition paintwork. Personally I would make that three, as it has an excellent Marzocchi Marathon and I don't know anything about the Manitou on yours. As you say, the downside is the doubt about whether the shock (which is an upgraded Float RL) is repairable.

I would say the things to improve on yours are the paint and the cassette. I have yet to meet a female rider who would like that cassette, and I think most would be better off with 9-speed and an 11-34. Maybe you're the exception, in which case please accept my apologies and good for you! On the paint, I personally would say a respray would be a lot of expense for not much gain. I would try repairing it first - prime the exposed aluminium, then find a close match for the paint colour and paint with a brush, not spray. It depends how fussy you are. Typically you can achieve a finish that you can see is different, but no normal person would ever notice it, only you (if you're fussy). It's a mountain bike, it'll get covered in grime down there, who cares if it's not perfect?

i am building it to a nice spec which is costing me quite a bit so i'd better like it! lol.
And i understand what you mean,i might just do that :)

The other one was the same age as mine i think, if it was newer then it would have had the disc brake mount, but instead it had the specialized adaptor.
and the hayes disc brakes lack the power and uniqueness of my magura's :cool:
and my paintwork is a BIG downside, but its not one that isn't fixable, i am planning a respray on the bike but i am just finding some decals first.
And i spoke to the seller about the shock and they didnt really have a clue, but it looks to me like it'd have to be sent off for a service which will cost around £90. But it is a very cool shock, i am currently chasing a float RL with lockout which needs new seals :D and i'd say the manitou R7's i have are of the same quality as the marzocchi's maybe have a bit of an advantage with the lockout adjustment too.

And the cassette i'snt ment to be on this bike anyway, its just the cassette i used to test ride the bike, but i have a more suitable 9 speed cassette on the way :)
and i think a full respray is better because the frame has a few scratches here and there and also some paint damage similar to the one in the pics on the seat tube.
And i dont care how perfect it is or isnt, but i would like it to be a good example of this model

go for it Dj, get the bike rideable with all the components you want first, then get it a new coat of paint :)

you can always do a temporary fix for the paint in the mean time to protect the metal under it and save up for a proper paint job and source the decals.
you may even want to customize the paint job once you have all your bits together :)

Will do :D

i just got a new shock, its a fox float RL :cool: but the remote lockout gets in the way when i try to fit it to the frame,
can i turn the shock around so the shaft is facing the handlebars?
will it affect performance?

its how i have mine :) no probs
get yourself a shock cover - the way the shock sits will encourage more dirt to sit around the seal, so either wipe it down after each ride (which you should do anyway) but the shock boot will help as well on longer rides :)

got one from CRC for a few quid:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=shock+boot

having your shock the other way round doesn't affect performance at all. you can always cut the lockout lever (i plan to chop mine down a bit as my linkage gets in the way when its on lockout) but then again, i hardly use lockout so not that desperate to make the adjustment.

get some pics up with the new shock :)

ahh great to know thanks :)
i have ordered the shock cover, and i thought i'd treat myself to a fork cover too :D

i will post some new pics up soon, i am also on the lookout for some new forks with lockout because my manitou's dont support my magura's.. i would like lockout just for the different riding styles, any advice?

new pics guys :)
got myself a pg990 cassette and a pc 991 chain, XTR front mech, xt shifters :)

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Back