Can I run a 10 speed in an 80s steel frame?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

My bike has 6 speed with friction shifters, could I slip in modern wheel, change the chain and run a 10 speed?

That way I could preserve my renovated old wheels, which are tubs which are also a pita if you puncture.

think id be tight and hub would need changing! u dont get 10 spd freewheel as most were back then! also the 10 would be cassette u see!

What I mean is using a completely different wheel. Saving the original wheels/tubs for best.

its all pending on on space! cassettes these days are compact however u would need a new rear mech and and shifter as the range wouldnt work!

I guess my main concern was springing the rear triangle open a bit as 10 speed I believe is 130mm and 6 speed is 126mm.

bananaman":2ao8d3k9 said:
its all pending on on space! cassettes these days are compact however u would need a new rear mech and and shifter as the range wouldnt work!

Why would I need a new rear mech and shifter? It's friction so no issue with indexing.

What do you mean "loosen"? Do you mean teeth capacity?

The stay will proably spread. However your main issue will be chain/seat stay clearance. You may have enough or you may have to massage the stays to get clearance. A 6 speed mech should work on 10 speed but the chain may run a bit rough over the wider teeth on the jockey wheels. A cheap 9 speed mech will work fine though.

6 speed mechs also were designed with a range of movement for 6 speed freewheel. A 10 speed is wider so more lever movment would be required. Mybe too much. I have never tried 10 speed friction shifting with a 6 spoeed mech. I will be trying 10 speed friction shifting with a 8 speed mech soon though. There is only one way to find out if these things work.

Montello":1x857ttf said:
My bike has 6 speed with friction shifters, could I slip in modern wheel, change the chain and run a 10 speed?

That way I could preserve my renovated old wheels, which are tubs which are also a pita if you puncture.

I suspect your six speed chain would not work with a ten speed cassette, so you may have to change your chain. Not sure whether changing to a ten speed chain would require a change in dérailleurs though.

Back