20" wheels on an MTB ?

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
We've all seen the usual 650B and 700c conversions, and some members here even have MTBs with one or more 24" wheels, but this one is new to me, so I though I'd share it.
I can imagine that something like this is a hoot to ride in city traffic.

4317360745_f68bb577b5_z.jpg

Ever since I came across this, I can't stop thinking about doing such a conversion myself.
I'd pick a better starting point than a Benz though, and I'd make sure I have enough ground clearance too.

Here's what the above bike is supposed to look like, BTW. I really understand why the owner changed the wheels.

2004780638.jpg

Oh wow i love that!
Please do one so i can copy you.
Surprised thet it actually looks like it has decent clearance.

cyfa2809":osazz7zt said:
Oh wow i love that!
Please do one so i can copy you.
Surprised thet it actually looks like it has decent clearance.

Heh, I just might.

I've been doing some maths, and if I can find an XC full susser that has a 14.25" BB height (center of BB axle, that is), I can drop it and still have as much clearance as my Sbikes.
14" if I switch to a 170mm crankset.

As for loving it, I know the feeling.
Those fenders look just right on that bike, and it would look horrid without those. This thing really has that Supermoto look about it.

What a brilliant idea and nicely carried out too. There does seem to be reasonable clearance, I wonder what sort of gearing you need to use or whether 'standard' gearing is OK.

Hypothetically speaking, a 20" wheel has 0.7692307692 times the circumference of a 26" wheel (62.8" vs 81.64"). So basically the gearing will be around 25% shorter.
Sounds like a lot, but it isn't really. 42/11 on a 20" would feel like the 42/15 or 32/11 on a 26" bike.

I suspect one will be forced to run a single up front, or a double with a road cassette. Not because of the different gearing itself, but because you don't have enough ground clearance to safely run a long-cage rear mech.

Yeah - it's surprising how small the difference is. Perhaps run 1 or 2 x 10 and then get really radical and fit a Moonlander tyoe wheel on the front......

.....looking for my coat :oops:

I´m at the start of a build right now, and will be building a set of 20" wheels and a set of 26" also for the bike. Just for fun...

Back